What OS are you using?

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

DeadWolf wrote:I've always seemed to have problems running it via live CD. If you really want to test it run the Wubi installer in Windows. It's 100% safe and (un)installs like a normal Windows Application with out having to partition your hard drive. You can use that to just install it anyway but there is a performance decrease. To unlock the full potential of Ubuntu is to install it, by partitioning, and edit random files to see what it does until you break something... Then you reinstall!

Ah the sandbox of Linux!
I used the wubi installer, but i get another problem. the BusyBox is loading then there is nothing more. what to do? :S
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Deques wrote:
DeadWolf wrote:I've always seemed to have problems running it via live CD. If you really want to test it run the Wubi installer in Windows. It's 100% safe and (un)installs like a normal Windows Application with out having to partition your hard drive. You can use that to just install it anyway but there is a performance decrease. To unlock the full potential of Ubuntu is to install it, by partitioning, and edit random files to see what it does until you break something... Then you reinstall!

Ah the sandbox of Linux!
I used the wubi installer, but i get another problem. the BusyBox is loading then there is nothing more. what to do? :S
That's a question for the Ubuntu forums because I really don't know. I've never came across that problem.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Current Computer: Windows XP Pro
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Ubuntu here. Windows can bite my ass. <.<
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

PC: Windows 7 RTM Ultimate x64 English
laptop: Windows 7 RTM Ultimate x86 English
server: Windows XP Media Center x86 dutch
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

I use XP Pro on my main gaming PC, my boyfriend uses Vista Ultimate, and so do my laptop and the media PC.

I've never had any massive problems with Windows that've made me hate it to death, I'm under the impression that switching to a Linux would mean a lot of problems with games. Adapting to different versions of software wouldn't be a problem, but it'd be effort that I'm too lazy to expend, yes, effort that small, I am freak'n lazy when it comes to tasks on the computer like word processing or photo editing.

Macs, I have no problem with, but wouldn't personally use, although I'd like a MacBook, but it's one of those "If I were a millionaire" things.

Now that I think of it, I really don't like the design of Windows 7, it's a major turn-off for me. The look of an OS or program usually don't phase me, but the design of Windows 7 and the Microsoft 2007 software really irritates me. I don't see myself switching to Windows 7 unless I'm crippled compatibility wise in the future or they provide some sort of classic theme.

Vista? No huge problems, UAC is annoying but tolerable (as long as you're running it on a decent machine, or things can get sticky) its just that older games I still play regularly only work on XP, not even in compatibility mode.

Uhh... my blathering has come to an end! ^-^;

Also: When can I not be a Tomato Man :(
Last edited by Delvar on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Delvar wrote:Now that I think of it, I really don't like the design of Windows 7, it's a major turn-off for me. The look of an OS or program usually don't phase me, but the design of Windows 7 and the Microsoft 2007 software really irritates me. I don't see myself switching to Windows 7 unless I'm crippled compatibility wise in the future or they provide some sort of classic theme.
I'm pretty sure the RC allowed you to switch to a classic theme. So I don't see why the future releases wouldn't let you do it.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Gaming tower: XP Pro

Laptop: OS X 10.5.7 (early 2008 Macbook Pro)

Secondary tower (mom's compy): FreeBSD 7.0

I don't know why, but I almost always end up in some form of dependency hell when I use Linux, even with apt/Synaptic. I'm sure I'm just not used to the tools because I'm coming from BSD.

But then, BSD doesn't exactly have all the bleeding-edge stuff that Linux gets, so there's a trade-off.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Magus - What kind of dependency hell? Are you trying to install some exotic or bleeding-edge stuff?
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Kimiko wrote:Magus - What kind of dependency hell? Are you trying to install some exotic or bleeding-edge stuff?
I'm not sure exactly. I think it may be that I force-installed a bleeding-edge app onto a version that already exists, but is older. Or, I tried to run something that required a certain kernel version that wasn't on the system. Whatever it was, it became an untenable mess, so I decided to start over with something I knew much better.

This was an Ubuntu install from 3 or 4 years ago, so certain things were definitely more buggy.

That said, Xubuntu (Xfce for that matter) kicks serious ass. I'll try to stay with it in my VirtualBox install.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Magus_Melchior wrote:
Kimiko wrote:Magus - What kind of dependency hell? Are you trying to install some exotic or bleeding-edge stuff?
I'm not sure exactly. I think it may be that I force-installed a bleeding-edge app onto a version that already exists, but is older. Or, I tried to run something that required a certain kernel version that wasn't on the system. Whatever it was, it became an untenable mess, so I decided to start over with something I knew much better.

This was an Ubuntu install from 3 or 4 years ago, so certain things were definitely more buggy.

That said, Xubuntu (Xfce for that matter) kicks serious ass. I'll try to stay with it in my VirtualBox install.
Xubuntu is great for older machines but if you really want a decent Linux system plain Ubuntu is about the best.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

DeadWolf wrote:Xubuntu is great for older machines but if you really want a decent Linux system plain Ubuntu is about the best.
Probably true, but I don't have the components to spare for another PC (or the power drain), so I wanted to minimize the footprint for a virtual machine.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Just to spam a bit
Windows 7 Home Premium $30
The only catch is that you have to be an active student.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Neat, thanks for the heads up man. I qualify for it but I dunno if I should take advantage of it.

I don't really have any problems with Vista at all.

Oh well, looks like the offer is valid until January 3rd 2010, so there's quite a bit of time to consider it.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

DeadWolf wrote:Just to spam a bit
Windows 7 Home Premium $30
The only catch is that you have to be an active student.

Already have it, and free too.