"rebirth" is finished and available for all to download!

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

impurfekt
Mushboom

Post by impurfekt »

The humble remix project, "rebirth" is now available. This is a four track collection of remixes based on the original "The Secret of Mana" game for the SNES. Myself, SPUNX, and Verney 1826 contributing. All are instrumental pieces reflecting the moods and settings of the original compositions by Hiroki Kikuta. Feel free to download and share.

Last edited by impurfekt on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Cool! I can't download this now but I'll check it out in a couple of days. I've gone ahead and made the news post for it, thanks for this! EDIT: Looks like Kassidy beat me to it actually.

I can't wait to give it a listen. :D
Last edited by Dr. Sheexy on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Really well done.

Nice job
impurfekt
Mushboom

Post by impurfekt »

Sheexy wrote:Cool! I can't download this now but I'll check it out in a couple of days. I've gone ahead and made the news post for it, thanks for this! EDIT: Looks like Kassidy beat me to it actually.

I can't wait to give it a listen. :D
Thanks so much for posting this on the front page Sheexy!
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

/me forgot to add a note to this post yesterday to say he'd posted it on front-page.

I got a chance to listen to the first track yesterday, I'm liking what I hear, I'll be listening to the rest today when I get a spare second.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Nice work! :D

I like how you added atmosphere and spaciousness (uhm, I hope that describes what I mean) to the songs.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Wow,

I'm just starting it now, but the atmosphere is fantastic and I love that you seem to have stayed pretty faithful to the original music.

Thanks for sharing!

Peace,

manaman
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Critique time!

01 - Rebirth by impurfekt
Great ocean atmosphere mixed with the soothing piano tone. The ethereal parts were a nice touch. Overall, a very relaxing song.

02 - Remembrance by Verney 1826
A great start, at the beginning. However around 1:05 and parts like it, it sounds as though the chords are just meshed together in one big jumble that doesn't sound all that great. One thing they could also work on is balancing melody with the harmony, as during this entire track the melody is drowned out quite a bit.

03 - The Sacred Wood by impurfekt
Changing the atmosphere from the ocean to a quiet forest. The chime, backed up by synthetic vocals, and strings were a nice choice. Again, another very relaxing song.

04 - Floe Pyre by SPUNX
In general this would've been a great track, however, the random chirping can get annoying. The whole time, I was distracted by the chirping, trying to figure out if they were supposed to be crickets or something else. Other than that, everything else was great.
Last edited by Duran on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yes,

I think some of the ambient sounds were overbearing. For the most part, they were very nice touches, but I think they drowned out the tunes.

As for the last tune, I am a little stumped as to what to say. I'm impressed with it and yet it's my least favorite and one I probably won't listen to that much. But, to reiterate, I'm impressed. I think it's well put together and I think the reason I don't care for it is all a matter of taste and not a fault of yours.

All of the other songs are very soothing and really capture moments in the game very well.

Overall, it's wonderful to have this beautiful collection and I've got the tunes going now. I thank you so very, very much for releasing these and for free, no less!

Please let us know if you ever work on more! It's a real gift you're sharing with us,

manaman
impurfekt
Mushboom

Post by impurfekt »

Thank you guys so much for your constructive opinions. They are very appreciated.

At the moment I am working on a remix for a Seiken Densetsu 3 collection. I will certainly keep you informed of it. The project is huge and out of my hands, but my track is not!
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

No worries,

Thank YOU! I'm looking forward to the SD3 remixes!

Peace,

manaman
DarthDude
BuzzBee

Post by DarthDude »

I am downloading it right now...

EDIT: The songs sound calm, and it adds a feelling too it. Good job.
Last edited by DarthDude on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucemia
Fierce Head

Post by Lucemia »

I'm downloading it at the moment and I'll listen to it when I get home. I'm at the library right now. From what everyone's saying, it sounds like I'll like it.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Impurfekt, your two tracks are really good. Especially the third track, one of my favorite Secret of Mana tunes. I think you did a great job with it. The ambience was really nice, maybe the animal/bug sounds could have been toned down a bit, but it was really good. Really captured the way I have always interpreted the Pure Land to be. Really love that one. :D

The second track could have been really awesome, I really liked most of it, but like Duran said after the beginning stuff gets kind of weird, to me it felt like it kept randomly skipping a few of the notes I was expecting.

The last track could have really done without the crickets, the rest of the music is great, but the crickets just detract from it so much to me.
Do you think you could get SPUNX to release a version sans crickets? I'd really love that.
(actually on my second listen they don't bug me as much, so maybe just changing their volume lower would help it more)

This was a neat compilation, turned out pretty great just with a few little things I feel could be fixed.
Thanks for this!