Best Controller

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey all,

So, I've had this strange and uncontrollable urge to ask you all what you consider to be the best video game controller ever made. Consider things such as elegance, feel, looks, button scheme (and it's impact on control schemes), nostalgia and anything else you can think of.

For me, I am a huge Nintendo fanboy and I used to absolutely love to talk about how great Nintendo was and how I wasn't that interested in the Genesis to my schoolyard friends, but I always secretly liked Sonic and have ALWAYS loved the Sega Genesis three button controller. I love the feel and look of it. The size, the weight, the directional pad (seriously, it's even better than Nintendo's--and in my mind nothing else comes close to these two companies' directional pads). Also, it's great to have three buttons because run, jump and fire is a great combination for games. And I LOVE that Sega only put one other button: Start. How brilliant!

My runner up would be the Wii Remote with Nunchuck attachment. I love white electronics and I love the concept of having a controller split in two. I love to be able to sit in a rocking chair with one arm on each rest and play video games.

Anyway, what about you? Peace,

manaman
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

For me it would have to be the 2nd-gen NES controller, otherwise known as the "Dogbone controller". Instead of the block design, which caused irritation, the new design was rounded off, providing comfort to the player. Simple, but effectife.

Sony's PS/2/3 Dual-shock controller is a runner up mainly because its sleek design has worked for them so well that they've reused it for 3 generations. My only gripe would be that the d-pad is horrid for fighters.

SNK's Neo-Geo controller gets an honorable mention, primarily because of the innovation behind it. It threw out the idea of a D-pad and replace it with a analog nub, allowing you to have complete control while preventing potential blisters and calluses that occur during frequent use for most D-pads. Unfortunately, these nubs weren't built for prolonged play and had a tendency to break after constant use.
Last edited by Duran on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I like the 360 controller followed by the Wii's classic controller. The biggest reason I like it is the fact that the left stick is ABOVE the d-pad. The Wii classic and the PS/2/3/P all have the same problem with putting the left stick below where it is just awkward and uncomfortable to use.

I like the Gamecube controller a lot until I went to use it on Contra 3 (This is why I got a Wii classic). Contra uses Y to shoot and B to jump. On the Gamecube controller it is almost impossible to enjoy that game because of the layout of the buttons.
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

My favorite is probably the Sony PS1/2/3 controller for the same reason as Duran, it's worked so well for them over the generations and it fits in my hands and hands of small children pretty well. Although, I like the D-Pad, not really for fighting games but it's a lot better than most others around this generation.

Second would have to be Xbox 360, it fits in my hands pretty well, but not as good as the PS controller. I love the triggers but the D-Pad sucks. I love the fact that the analog stick is above the D-Pad, I just hate those little bumps they put on them as 'grip', that irritates me!

I'm not sure where to fit this in but I also love the original Xbox controller, although it's big an awkward I have some sort of weird soft spot for it, ahaha. :p

Edit: Nooo I'm still a Tomato Man D:
Last edited by Delvar on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Duran,

Excellent choice of the second version NES' controller! I too share your love of that controller. It's so comfortable, simple and classic.

This is really interesting for me. I can't wait to hear what other people say. And, to be honest, I'm a little surprised by our answers. Thanks for sharing!

Peace,

manaman
Lucemia
Fierce Head

Post by Lucemia »

I like the Playstation controllers. Probably for the fact that I've used them a hell of alot over the past 100 years. But I also like the 360's. I absolutely love the feel of it when I'm playing Halo or Gears of War.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

My favorite would definitely be the Xbox 360 controller. The controller fits the best with the contours of my hands, and I know many other people agree with that. I love the placement of the two analog sticks, it just works better than them being right together as in a PS/PS2/PS3 controller. They are built to last, say all you want about having to pay $50 for a wireless controller, the thing is built to last. It's strong, sturdy and its range is very impressive. Also the trigger buttons. LT and RT are just perfect, you know Microsoft had shooters, shooters and more shooters in mind when they made the 360 controller. It's much more natural feeling on a 360 controller than a PS3 controller, and god forbid playing a shooter on the Wii.

The only thing I don't really care for, and is everyone's complaint, is the D-Pad. It's very awkward to make diagonal movements with the D-Pad, but really unless you are into fighting games you aren't going to care that much because you will barely use the D-Pad, and Microsoft realizes they screwed up because most games that utilize the D-pad (in some fashion or an other) usually only use the four cardinal directions (i.e. selecting weapons in the Gears games.)
Last edited by Tsurayu on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Tsurayu wrote:. . . and god forbid playing a shooter on the Wii.
I respectfully disagree. I've been playing Metroid Prime: Trilogy and I have found the controls to be the most intuitive and accurate of any I've ever experienced in a first person shooter. Personally I think the Wii lends itself very naturally to the genre. I've always thought a mouse too sensitive especially when needing to relocate the mouse on its surface and used to prefer an analog stick (thinking the N64 controller the best setup) but admitted to myself it wasn't as fast as a mouse. The Wii Remote is the perfect balance, I think.

As for the Xbox 360 controller, I have to admit I've thought of picking one up for the computer. I have liked the feel when I've held it at a store but what you said about the directional pad worries me a bit since I am more of a platformer and RPG guy who likes his diagonals easily pressed. We'll see.

Peace,

manaman
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Point-and-click shooters are al right, but turning by pointing at which direction you want to move using the Wiimote is horrendous. You're too slow for a good fast-paced shooter. Totally breaks flow for me. Something like Halo and Gears would be impossible on the Wii (not including specifications.)
Last edited by Tsurayu on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Tsurayu wrote:...and god forbid playing a shooter on the Wii.
Go play The Conduit and you'll change your mind.

Of course when it comes to shooters nothing beats Keyboard and Mouse.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

DeadWolf wrote:

That's a perfect example of the movement thing I was talking about.

Oh well, everyone knows my hatred for the Wii. No point in discussing it on a site populated by those who enjoy the Wii. Just makes me look like an ass. <.<
Last edited by Tsurayu on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quemaqua
Silktail

Post by Quemaqua »

The 360 controller is fine but has the worst d-pad in the history of d-pads. How that ever made it through testing is beyond me. Completely effing useless. I'm more a fan of the Sony style, though like all controllers these days, the things are so ungodly expensive I only have the one my PS3 shipped with. I can't justify spending more to get a dualshock.

I generally don't like the Wii motion controls as much, but I think the controller itself is actually fairly comfortable and natural to use. I haven't picked up the Prime Trilogy yet (though I plan to because I'm a horrible, horrible Metroid fanboy), but I really liked the way the controls worked in Prime 3.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Tsurayu wrote:
DeadWolf wrote:

That's a perfect example of the movement thing I was talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvTpnS2k7w

Also, like L4D, there is a 180 spin button. Play the game first before just assuming it sucks because it's on the Wii.
Tsurayu wrote:Oh well, everyone knows my hatred for the Wii. No point in discussing it on a site populated by those who enjoy the Wii. Just makes me look like an ass. <.<
You make yourself look like and ass when you find any and every possibility to bash the Wii. You hate the Wii and that's fantastic. Trolling this site about is not cool. One thread has already been locked because of your trolling I guess you want this one too huh?
Quemaqua wrote:The 360 controller is fine but has the worst d-pad in the history of d-pads. How that ever made it through testing is beyond me. Completely effing useless. I'm more a fan of the Sony style, though like all controllers these days, the things are so ungodly expensive I only have the one my PS3 shipped with. I can't justify spending more to get a dualshock.
The D-pad on my Famiclone controllers are really bad. It has 8 directions for games meant to be 4. Games like Startropics where there is no diagonal movement is completely impossible to play using it (Not so much Zoda's revenge because you can move diagonal). I had to buy an NES controller off of a friend.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Tsurayu wrote:Point-and-click shooters are al right, but turning by pointing at which direction you want to move using the Wiimote is horrendous.
I suppose each of the three control schemes have a trade off and maybe this one is the Wii's motion controls'. To me, I feel like I have more overall control with the Wii Remote and would rather turn with a more controlled speed and have more accuracy firing after than what usually happens when someone comes from behind when I'm using a mouse: I turn too fast and get too disoriented to get a clear shot in quickly. :D I know, I suck.

Oh, in Metroid Prime: Trilogy, there is an option to adjust the speed of the turn when the cursor is to the side of the screen. Anyway, it's my preference, but I don't mind yours at all. Like I said, I prefer an analog stick to a mouse.
Quemaqua wrote:The 360 controller is fine but has the worst d-pad in the history of d-pads.
Hmmm, how about THIS: the Turbo Touch 360. Wikipedia tells me it's rated the ninth worst controller in history by IGN. Whatever. I have one and it makes me cry every time I use it.
Quemaqua wrote:I generally don't like the Wii motion controls as much, but I think the controller itself is actually fairly comfortable and natural to use. I haven't picked up the Prime Trilogy yet (though I plan to because I'm a horrible, horrible Metroid fanboy), but I really liked the way the controls worked in Prime 3.
I haven't played the trilogy before, but so far, I've noticed that the graphics are very smooth and the controls are very comfortable. I'd definitely agree with the advertising hype that says this is the way the games were meant to be played even though I have nothing to compare it to.

Oh, so yeah, maybe we're all getting a bit off topic. Maybe we should make a WORST controller thread! ;) But yeah, I'm interested in what other people feel to be their favorite controller.

Peace,

manaman
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Couldnt find better picture but:

Also, I ignore what you all said up to this point :D

One controller to rule them all