Show me your damn browser!

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Quemaqua wrote:Manaman's colors do look different, but I wouldn't say vibrant... they look oversaturated to me.
Hey Quemaqua,

That's actually a Mac thing. It's interesting. Firefox on Mac used to look like what you guys are posting. Safari always had these vibrant colors and when I was making the banner for the forums, what you see in the screenshot is probably very close to what it looked like on my computer. I knew that it wouldn't look that vibrant on other computers, though because I had previewed it in Firefox. Interestingly, though, when Firefox was updated, the colors began to look like they do in Safari.

Also, DeadWolf, it's not so much that I'm a Mac fan exclusively. I actually really like Windows. I really like my Mac a lot since I got it, but after having it for a while, I know that it still is a computer. It's a computer that has a nice interface and has some very nice features but it still crashes from time to time and there are quirks just like Windows has quirks. In the end of the day, what I do like better than Windows is the customer service because everything is made by Apple and the design of the hardware and software is very sleek and elegant. The next computer I purchase will likely be a Windows desktop, though. Anyway, I think it's useful to have both.

Peace,

manaman
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

manaman wrote:
Quemaqua wrote:Manaman's colors do look different, but I wouldn't say vibrant... they look oversaturated to me.
Hey Quemaqua,

That's actually a Mac thing. It's interesting. Firefox on Mac used to look like what you guys are posting. Safari always had these vibrant colors and when I was making the banner for the forums, what you see in the screenshot is probably very close to what it looked like on my computer. I knew that it wouldn't look that vibrant on other computers, though because I had previewed it in Firefox. Interestingly, though, when Firefox was updated, the colors began to look like they do in Safari.

Also, DeadWolf, it's not so much that I'm a Mac fan exclusively. I actually really like Windows. I really like my Mac a lot since I got it, but after having it for a while, I know that it still is a computer. It's a computer that has a nice interface and has some very nice features but it still crashes from time to time and there are quirks just like Windows has quirks. In the end of the day, what I do like better than Windows is the customer service because everything is made by Apple and the design of the hardware and software is very sleek and elegant. The next computer I purchase will likely be a Windows desktop, though. Anyway, I think it's useful to have both.

Peace,

manaman
I'm not bringing Windows vs Mac. I've just noticed that it's a trend for most Macers to use Camino instead of Firefox. Apparently Camino is built to be run on a Mac where Firefox is pretty much a port.

I've used a lot of Mac and I honestly don't think that it's worth the money for one (Not only that but I prefer Win/Linux over the Mac OS). The only Mac I owned was a Clamshell that had 10.1. It was The Little Laptop That Could. It had a 366 MHz PowerPC G3 with 190 MB RAM. That thing was a power house. It ran Exceptionally well compared to a similarly specked HP with XP(1.1 GHz Intel Celeron with 128MB RAM) that seemed to lag just starting up. I'm not a fan of Mac OS but Apple can make a decent running machine.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Not I'm not sure what to do. Opera 10, at least for me, runs much slower than Firefox. I'd rather deal with a few lockups than the generally slower speed I get out of Opera. I think my problem might actually have been either the new theme I'm using or DownloadHelper. I hope so. I'd much rather stick with Firefox.

I think that's what it all comes down to. I mean Opera 10 is claiming they are the fastest browser available now, and Safari has always claimed they were the fastest. I don't think anyone has a real credible study on who is the fastest because they are probably secretly funded by one of the companies. It really just comes down to your own personal preference. I've learned to ignore what everyone else thinks of browsers because 9/10 my experience is completely different.

As for Macs I've never used one except the old old computers they used in our school when we were in elementary. I've never been inclined to. Grew up with Windows, got used to Windows, but I can't stand how poorly Vista runs on my computer. Tekka talked me into trying Ubuntu and I've yet to regret my decision despite just about everyone telling me I should have at least dual-booted.
Last edited by Tsurayu on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Tsurayu wrote:Not I'm not sure what to do. Opera 10, at least for me, runs much slower than Firefox. I'd rather deal with a few lockups than the generally slower speed I get out of Opera. I think my problem might actually have been either the new theme I'm using or DownloadHelper. I hope so. I'd much rather stick with Firefox.

I think that's what it all comes down to. I mean Opera 10 is claiming they are the fastest browser available now, and Safari has always claimed they were the fastest. I don't think anyone has a real credible study on who is the fastest because they are probably secretly funded by one of the companies. It really just comes down to your own personal preference. I've learned to ignore what everyone else thinks of browsers because 9/10 my experience is completely different.

As for Macs I've never used one except the old old computers they used in our school when we were in elementary. I've never been inclined to. Grew up with Windows, got used to Windows, but I can't stand how poorly Vista runs on my computer. Tekka talked me into trying Ubuntu and I've yet to regret my decision despite just about everyone telling me I should have at least dual-booted.
Opera has always been slow. The thing about Opera is that it can be put on ANYTHING. Safari was pretty fast but I don't like Safari's GUI so I don't use it. Firefox can be sped up with a few hacks but as I said with the horrible rendering and the memory leak it's not worth my valuable time. Honestly the Fasted I've use is Chrome.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I've been using chrome since it came out. I lurve it! It's the least cluttered looking browser I've ever seen. And it's superfast. I used to use Firefox . . . but it was so slow and clunky. Ugh.

Last edited by bastian on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucemia
Fierce Head

Post by Lucemia »

Ummm....Firefox for me.
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

My favorite so far is yours Deques, it's cute. I'd prefer it in grey though, heh. The others don't really interest me much.

Here's my 2 cents :)

It's just Firefox with Glaze Black theme, I tend to go for anything darker but sometimes I'll switch to mainly white or silver, it has to either be more on the extreme side of light or dark for me to like it, haha.

I just slapped a bunch of button favorites at the top there for sites I visit/want to visit, I often find myself absent-minded-ly clicking them randomly when I'm bored, so it's a good way for me to keep up with sites I'd usually forget about.

If you were wondering about the OS/Theme, I use XP with the Zune theme. Kinda weird, I know, but it goes with that dark theme that I have going on with everything at the moment.

Edit: I love yours too, Bastian!
Edit2: I'm not a Tomato Man anymore, HUZZAH!
Last edited by Delvar on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

Wow, I'm a freakin' moron. Turns out my whole problem was my theme. Apparently I downloaded a theme that was designed for 3.5 without noticing. Swore I was browsing the 3.0 section, but whatever. Went ahead and started running 3.5 and now my lock up problems are a thing of the past, at least so far.

Anyway, ever so slightly different:

Last edited by Tsurayu on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Tsurayu wrote:Is it just my imagination or is manaman's colors more vibrant?
I don't know if DeadWolf uses Snow Leopard, but that may be the difference. Apple turned up the contrast ratio (or something) to match Windows'.

Edit: Oh, right, browser. On Linux/Mac, I just use Firefox. I suppose I could use Camino or any other such dedicated port, but the main reason I don't is that it would lag the main distro, depending on the dev team size and speed (see: NeoOffice). As far as rendering is concerned, I'm an IT engineer, not a designer or artist, so I don't give a rat's ass as long as the navigation works and the typeface sizes are reasonable. Performance-wise, I usually don't have a problem because I don't load the damned thing with every extension and buggy plug-in (yes, that means you, Acrobat) on the planet. Memory is pretty cheap, so I use it.

Sorry, where was I? Right, right. I actually do use Safari on occasion, like when I don't have Firefox loaded and don't feel like waiting 20 seconds for all them tabs to load up.

On Windows, I use Chrome (when I'm authorized to install it), or Firefox Portable. Chrome, despite its auto-updater and 0wnzership by Google, is far better performing and more secure than FF or (unearthly howl) IE.

And IE's crummy nature, especially in versions 7 and 8, are another rant altogether.
Last edited by Magus_Melchior on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Magus_Melchior wrote:
Tsurayu wrote:Is it just my imagination or is manaman's colors more vibrant?
I don't know if DeadWolf uses Snow Leopard, but that may be the difference. Apple turned up the contrast ratio (or something) to match Windows'.
I'm running Windows. The only Mac I ever owned was sold a long time ago.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Magus_Melchior wrote:I actually do use Safari on occasion, like when I don't have Firefox loaded and don't feel like waiting 20 seconds for all them tabs to load up.
Yes,

I do that quite a lot, as well.

Peace,

manaman
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

You don't have your browser running all the time?
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I usually shut my computer down and when I want to check something online quickly, it takes longer for Firefox to start with a bunch of tabs than it takes for my Mac to start (which really is fast). So, I usually fire up Safari to save a few seconds.
Tsurayu
Spikey Tiger

Post by Tsurayu »

My computer is never shut down unless there are storms, of if I am away for long periods of time (like days.) Usually I just have it set for Sleep after an hour of no activity, and with that I always have Firefox, Skype and my home folder up at all times. XD
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Well I tried out SRWare Iron today (which is Chrome, but without a bunch of the Google data mining and such), and I have to say it's pretty nippy. I'm still going to be heavily using Firefox though, merely because I have several plugins and such that make my life easier (Firebug, to name one, though I hear that there is a portable version, though very hacked together).