ARRR(pee) MATEY!

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

So, remember that thing I was bantering about a while back? About a role play forum? Yeah, well, I've actually gotten quite a bit of work done so far. I still have a ways to go, but the work I've accomplished so far tells me I am invested enough in this to see this through.

However, I want to start putting up some of the work I have done so far. I would like to get some feedback on the stuff I've done so far (and: I don't want everything to be set in stone before somebody makes a suggestion that corrects something I might have done wrong and screws things up XD ). I would put the stuff up on a forum and ask for some critique before I open it officially, but there's just one little thing getting in the way of that: a name. I need a name for the forum before I can do anything of the sort.

I know I want it to be the "(something) of Mana", as is the tradition of the games, but what? I don't want to use anything already taken by the canon games. Here's the list of ideas I have. I would like a vote and, if possible, some discussion.

Bond:
Circle:
Harmony:

Suggestions
Ring*
Seasons*
Wheel*

*spawned from another forum discussion.
(The basic premise is an alternate universe-type world with bits and pieces from each game to build it up. It is not based in the time/world of any one game in the series and is something of its own entity, but not completely.)
Last edited by NightshadeTea on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

How about Legacy of Mana?

But if it must be one from the list... I'd cast my vote for Lore, because "Circle of" instantly brings flashes of the Lion King.
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Oh, I'm up for suggestions. :3 I'm going to count yours as two: one for your own suggestion and one for the vote for one on the list.

Haha, I hadn't even thought of the Lion King. IT'S THE CIIIIIIIIRCLE!!!
What I was going for with 'Circle' was a sense of rebirth and interconnection.

I find it incredibly ironic that 'Lore' is leading in the poll of a thread I started on another forum and it's the first one mentioned here when it was, in fact, the one of the list I almost didn't include because it is my least favorite of the list. XD
Last edited by NightshadeTea on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

So, tell me more about your plans and ideas. I am eager to get on board.
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

I've never roleplayed on a board before but I'll totally take a look, it's something I've always found awesome. When you get it set up, count me in!

As for names... hmm. I'd be thinking more along the lines of a place type of thing, like... Gathering of Mana, I dunno, that sounds odd to me, but something along those lines. Temple of Mana? Hmm...
Last edited by Delvar on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

XD I'm trying very hard to come up with a way to describe what I have so far in few words with no spoilers. haha

Also: First post updated. Items from the list as they lose (or gain) my interest will be added and taken down when I see fit. It's a little wishy washy, but this is the stage where things kind of are until they settle properly. 'Lore' and 'Legacy' were nice, but the more discussion that happens with various people (AIM, other forums), the more the idea is settling and knocking things off the list. Of course, it adds some things and makes it harder, but that's the way it goes. XD

Here's the best I could do as far as a run down of the world goes:

Elements from as many of the games as I could muster are included and bent to my evil will/imagination. It is an alternate universe and doesn't follow so much a time line of any of the games, however, it does have bits and pieces of the history. There was a Vandole Empire, for example. I've twisted it slightly, but the Empire wuz here (as can be seen by various bits of graffiti found around the world, naturally). Names of places and their basic premise (for most of them. XD ) survive, but they are all rearranged. There is Domina on the same continent as Pandora (and, actually, they hate each other a lot), for example. The capitol of Illusia is the Holy City of Wendel. Marvoles and Jumi both exist. Things like that. There will be more details when I can lay it out in a way that it won't be crunched up in a single thread. :P I'm getting the map up on photobucket now, so I'd be happy to share that if anybody wants.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

I was more interested in what the story outline would be than the makeup of the world, which really doesn't matter all that much since it will come down to characters rather than locations.

Speaking of characters, what is and is not available for play?
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Ah, I see. Well, this is what how I see the board being run as far as gameplay goes:

I have several ideas for various plots. However, there is no single overarching plot that Oh My Gosh! MUST HAPPEN. As I reveal smaller plots that build up to certain things, how the characters involved act decides which events get to be unlocked and when. If things don't go according to plan, that's fine. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I really don't want to spoil anything I have in store. Just know there will be monsters. Big ones. And an Underworld. And potentially some ghosts from the past returning to the world of the living to exact some petty revenge. (something about leaving the cap off the toothpaste? Or an Empire crumbling. I dunno. I get those two mixed up sometimes.)

As for playable things Humans, whatever the hell furry thing Niccolo is (can't find the name for those damned creatures. :T)*, and possible sprites are available for starters. One person can play multiple characters. Jumi and Marvoles are not available until they are earned. They're supposed to be rare and require a greater understanding of the world. Half-Marvoles need some serious validation.

HOWEVER! All of this will be explained in greater detail when I actually get a forum up. Names names! I need a name! XD

*Because I forgot to put in this note when I wrote this: I've seen 'Rabbit' as his species, except once where I saw him listed as something else and haven't been able to find it since. It might have been a bit of misinformation, but I'm trying to create only one breed of antro-type creature to make the writing on my part easier and to keep the world a little simpler.
Last edited by NightshadeTea on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Make a decision already! If you don't like it, you can always change it later.
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Well you're a lot of help. P:
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

And you are extremely forthcoming. :P

So do you intend to make established characters available, or is it going to be limited to original characters?
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Aaar, I be wishin' ye a good International Speak Like a Pirate Day, me mateys!
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

Tekka: Yes, I am. :3
I am flattered you're eager to get on board, but I'm not hearing much of the type of input I was hoping for. I suppose in the end it's fine. I've been fleshing some more things out and I've received some good input with good reasoning behind it so far, so I feel I'm getting closer to a decision. I'm signing up with Invisionfree, and so my username is the name of the forum, so I really can't change it later..

As for your question: Original characters only. 1) it is an AU not based in any one game, so the characters from the games would not really be there and 2) I have a personal bias that I fully admit with no shame: I actually really dislike it when people play canon characters in a role play as their base. I don't mind cameos, but... I dunno. Something about it just really irks me.

manaman: SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM

DON' SPAM IT GIVES YE SCURRRVY, YE BLAGGARD! DON' MAKE ME INTERNET!KEEL HAUL YE.
Last edited by NightshadeTea on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

Okay. Good luck with whatever you plan to do with this.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

NightshadeTea wrote:manaman: SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM
I was figuring that you were getting at International Speak Like a Pirate Day with your thread title, but I guess not. Spam wasn't the intention! Oh, and my vote would be to have people create their own characters within the universe as opposed to established characters. If so, I might join. Otherwise, I think I'll back out. But that's just me!