Muse - The Resistance

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Anyone besides Kassidy and me listen to Muse here?

Anyways, their new album "The Resistance" is out and I've been hooked on it for a few days now. Honestly I think its my favorite album by them.

The whole album definitely has a Muse feel to it, but a few of them also remind me of Queen, kind of that big rock opera type feel to them.

Also I like the classical music mixed into some of the songs. Though I think the end of United States of Eurasia is technically another song called Collateral Damage? Not sure.

I think my favorite songs are the first three. Hard to pick though.
Uprising really feels like Muse, dunno what else to say, it's a really solid track.
Both Uprising and Resistance really have a spacey feel to them, seems to be a recurring theme in Muse. XD
Resistance starts out kind of slow, but once it builds up it's really neat. The singing (It could be wrong, could be wrong) really reminds me of Queen. XD
Undisclosed Desires is probably my favorite song on the album. I dunno what to make of it, sounds completely different from other Muse stuff, but at the same time it's not really unexpected or out of their style. Has a really nice beat to it.

United States of Eurasia reminds me a lot of Knights of Cydonia, I might actually prefer it over it, and the ending Collateral Damage part is a nice kind of intermission if you're listening to the whole album straight through.

Unnatural Selection and MK Ultra are pretty good, nothing that really stands out about them to me, but they're definitely solid Muse songs. It could be that I've been listening to the first three tracks the most, might need to give these ones more of a chance. XD

I Belong to You/French Words is another song I really like, is it just me or are there a ton of inside references going on in the lyrics in this song?

The last three songs go together, they're all called Exogenesis they just have a colon and some more words for the rest of their name. These ones mix in the classical music a lot, and it's really neat. Personal favorite out of the three is the final one, Redemption.
These three all go classical music, good old Muse, more classical music. Really fun.

Anyways, there is my stupid review. I know jack all about music, so it's probably not worth much, but I'd definitely recomend this album for at least one listen through to anyone.

Muse is a kind of different band, it seems people either love them or find them too cheesy.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Collateral Damage is a variation on Chopin's Nocturne. It's not played at the end of live performances.

I'll throw my few cents in after I've sat down at work and had a chance to get a few spare minutes.
NightshadeTea
Tomato Man

Post by NightshadeTea »

I've only listened to it once through all the way so far, and then I was working on something else. However, what I did catch, I really liked. (I was rocking out to it this morning. And by 'rocking' I mean 'listening to it while I worked on something else again') I love Muse. They're such an awesome band. <3
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

All last year and a bit before then I was on a huge Muse kick and didn't listen to much else, but then I got addicted to Radiohead and went on a binge of that.

The stuff I listen to tends to have huge long cycles.

This album is something else to me though, I seriously think I like this the best out of any of Muse's stuff. I don't think I'll get tired of listening to this for a long time. XD

Listened to Unnatural Selection and MK Ultra more, they are way better than I gave it credit for in my previous post.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Unnatural Selection and MK Ultra are indeed made of awesome. I have to learn them at some point.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Unnatural Selection has a section (with the lyrics "Counter balance this commotion; We're not droplets in the ocean") that reminds me a lot of System of a Down. Anyone else hearing this?
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

It's mostly at the end of him saying "ocean" but yeah it does have a slight SOAD feel to that part. If he were just screaming a bit more than singing it'd be pretty dead on.