Google Wave

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

It's a REALLY long demo, but this idea for comms and collab is very powerful and I can see it being the next big thing for project management.

I'll stop my corporate schpiel mode now. If you have a chance and are interested check it out, very nice.

BTW, no I am NOT paid to say this. I only just got introduced to this today by a colleague of mine, and it's pretty awesome (yes, and that is a rare word for me to use).
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I have a Wave account, too bad there is nothing to test as this is very dependent on the users. Only got a friend who has Wave too. So there isnt much to test at all
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Someone sent me an invite yesterday, still hasn't arrived to me. 21 hours. But like you say, even when that gets to me, until I can get more people on board and such, not much use...

Wanna play...
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

It's not really an invitation your friend sent you. It's a nomination they send to the google staff.
Ailise
Site Admin

Post by Ailise »

deq... send me a invitation/nomination =)
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Kassidy,

I went ahead and watched that whole video and I have to say, Google has really outdone themselves. A lot of the things that Google develops I tend to recognize for the things they do well, but often I don't find much that I think would really help me in any way or improve my computing experience in general. I rarely use any Google products. This, however, is the first product that I am very excited for. This could revolutionize the way my colleagues and I approach our projects and I just think it looks SO cool!

It reminds me of this person I worked for for a while. He was a coder and his claim to fame was basically saying that if you code, you should do it in pairs so that any mistakes are caught. Can you imagine working on a project on Wave? You could literally watch as someone types and then make corrections yourself! It would be great!

And the spelling robot is incredible. And the languages robot as well. By the way, you think they named that robot after the Jetson's maid?

Peace,

manaman
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

It wouldn't surprise me, though I don't recall Rosie in the Jetsons being a translator, but it has been decades since I watched that.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Yeah,

I'm not really sure that she ever was a translator droid--she just did everything and in general did household chores. But I could see that she might be the inspiration for Google to name that particular robot.

Anyway, color me impressed by all of this. I would really like to see this open up soon. I would really like to use it with some people within the year.

By the way, it occurred to me that Yahoo! has really been stepping up their game lately. I'm kind of a fan of Yahoo! and think they're doing a good job making the overall Internet experience more condensed. Wave takes the cake, though. I love the Blogger integration. I don't use Blogger, but this may persuade me. . . .

Peace,

manaman
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Additionally I suspect that it could be branched out from Blogger to other Blogging services. If this were to work with Drupal (there is a mod being made with the Wave API in mind), I might actually get round to bloody blogging!

Re Deques: Yeah, realised that when the chap who sent it to me pasted the exact text, saying it had sent the nomination. *sigh* Want to start using it!
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Someone explain to me what it is so I don't kill an hour?
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

It's a totally new way to interact with the web. It could and possibly should replace e-mail, IM, shared document editing space, social networking sites, blog and micro-blogging sites but really acts as aggregator for all of your favorite of the aforementioned with a sleek interface and open source code so you should see a lot of Google Wave cropping up everywhere in the near future. Perhaps you could say it's Web 3.0 though I think it really is almost beyond the Internet. It's like Computer 3.0. . . .

So, yeah. . . . :)
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Ailise wrote:deq... send me a invitation/nomination =)
I cant, I dont have any invitations to send
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I was pretty impressed with Google Chrome so I can't wait to see what Google Wave can do for me.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Thanks Kass