New Laptop? Sort of?

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

So I recently sent my laptop in for repairs since my warranty was ending soon, that's why I've been gone for a bit, and I just got it back and it was kinda surprising.

First thing I notice is they replaced the whole upper half of the laptop, new screen new lid new everything. Which is nice cause I complained about some dead pixels etc.

But also now I've got one of those fingerprint scanners, I never had that before. Neat I guess?

But then I turn the computer on, and it turns out I also got a new harddrive... or at least they formatted my old one... and the recovery partition... Kinda annoying cause none of the issues I said to fix had anything to do with that. At least I backed up everything I need.

Also I have a new keyboard, and they wrote that they repaired it for me, but I had no idea anything was wrong with it?

And also the whole bottom of the laptop is new.

The only thing they didn't replace is my touch pad and the upper casing of the bottom of the laptop. And I actually complained about the touch pad... so I dunno what to make of this.

So yeah, I don't really know what happened with this whole warranty repair thing.
I dunno whether to complain or be happy.
Tekka
Emberman

Post by Tekka »

"Let's replace the whole machine except the touchpad just to piss him off!"

"Lolz."
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I swear that's probably what they did. I mean I sent it in the day before my warranty was gone, so everything was completely covered by them.

They probably did have it out for me. T_T
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Hm. It depends on how much of a hassle the touchpad is - to be honest right up until you mentioned that I thought they might have simply sent you a new computer.

Look at it this way Sheexy, it was under warranty so you got some expensive repairs and upgrades done for free - even if not the one you originally wanted. In the long run it will be cheaper as you won't need to have those repairs and upgrades performed in future.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Yeah I'm trying to think that way, but I've been messing with the laptop and I think I'm gonna have to send it back.

The main issue I sent it in for was that the fan was running constantly and being really noisy, and it sounds louder than it did before I sent it in right now. T_T

Got 90 days to figure this out, I'm gonna mess around with it and see if the fan quiets down.

Argh, I have such bad luck with customer support things.

EDIT: I realize I got a lot of free stuff out of this, but the problem is still there so I'm complaining XD
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

うはwwwwww...look at it this way, bro.

If the touch pad is giving you problems, you can always spend $15 on a mini USB Mouse.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

After like an hour of updates and about 30 startup cycles that ended in blue screens I called support and they had me run a diagnostic on the hard drive, which proceeded to fail.
Still on the phone with them now, this is just slipping downhill. x_x

EDIT: They're taking it back now.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Good for you, Sheexy! I have had awful luck with computers as well. Boy I can really hate them. But good luck. What brand of laptop do you have again?
Delvar
Crawler

Post by Delvar »

Geez, that's really rough... good luck getting it all sorted out! Despite the issues you're having, hopefully they'll fix the rest of them and you'll pretty much end up with a new laptop.

I did the same thing with my screen before the warranty expired... it was having a stupid problem where it'd not turn on properly the first time you tried. I sent it off THAT DAY, and got a replacement the next morning... the newest model in that size! Dell ftw! :D
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

I hate touch pads period. Look on ebay for a wireless mouse for about $10 to bring with you. That's what I do.

Side note: Turns out the mouse I got on ebay for $10 (Logitech V220 Wireless) I saw at Best Buy today for $45.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

DeadWolf,

I totally agree that most touch pads aren't very good (though I can honestly say that my Mac's touch pad converted me to the point I prefer it to a mouse). I use a Logitech wireless mouse for my work laptop. However, if Sheexy's computer's touch pad is not working, the solution shouldn't be to just carry around a wireless mouse. Having to bring things with the machine seriously takes away the portability of a laptop. I hate having to pack a power cord or mouse with me if I'm taking my computer for a brief outing or a class.

Good luck, Sheexy!

manaman
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

They did fix the touchpad, I just didn't realize it at first.

I thought it was due to conductive paint coming off, but apparently that's not the way the one I have works. It was something underneath all that or something.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Awesome! So glad to hear it, Sheexy.
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

the "receptors" under the touchpad, they changed it.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Wait, so does it still sound like a jet plane taking off? If so, how's that coming along?