Final Fantasy (no, really) games come to iDevices

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey everyone,

Clicky, clicky!

I'm just thinking that maybe Square-Enix may bring SoM or the FFA remake over to the US if these are successful. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, support the big name games on them! Maybe we'll get something even better out of it!

Peace,

manaman
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

Mm-hmm, I have an iPod Touch that I hardly ever use, and I was considering getting Final Fantasy I. Just maybe, though. I can not work with touch-screen controls on this thing. Porting Secret of Mana to it might be good for the series' popularity, but I personally could not imagine myself even getting to Pandora without getting extremely frustrated with the controls.

Sending the Final Fantasy Adventure remake over to Western audiences seems appealing, but I'd kinda prefer seeing it ported to WiiWare, like they did with Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

The screenshots look like the PSP version with touch controls.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Yet another FF port. I wouldn't want a secret of mana port for the ipod touch. Maybe a port, but if its a remake, then I find it kinda a waste.

They really need to make a remake soon!! T_T
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Thing is a menu-based RPG I can see being ported to a purely touch-screen system. Menu navigation (as not time critical) done by clicking on the map, and such. But an Action RPG? Granted, Zelda has had two touch-controlled titles on DS now, but I don't think that format would work with SoM as the game stands currently, so you'd have to do some major reworking on it.

Plus I don't want to be pushed over the edge to cave in and spend money on an iWhatever. Not even for Mana.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

Kassidy wrote:Plus I don't want to be pushed over the edge to cave in and spend money on an iWhatever. Not even for Mana.
I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want to get blasted for trolling.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Well,

First of all, the game is supposed to be the result of putting together of the latest graphics overhall (the PSP Anniversary edition) and the best CG cut scenes plus touch screen mechanics which wins me over for a turn-based game. I have honestly never been a fan of turn-based or FF so this would actually get me to play the game as I feel I should but never knew which edition to play since the original would seem the obvious choice but seems to dated without the benefit of my own nostalgia.

As for ARPG's on the iPod Touch or the iPhone, I can attest to the fact that developers have gotten touch controls down. The iPod Touch is a great gaming machine now with excellent full games that appeal to people who want "large" and "core" games. The funny thing is I would have never got an iPod Touch were it not for buying a computer and having the iPod Touch come with it (which I may actually prefer to the computer!).

Granted some games don't get it just right, but the great ones are out there. I RSS feed Touch Arcade and they give excellent reviews that have really helped me get the best out of gaming on the device. I don't even keep music on it!

I never thought I would be touting the greatness of an iPod ANYTHING (I used to be biased against Apple and MP3 players both!) but here I am.

As for Secret of Mana or the FFA remake, WiiWare would be awesome, but one nice thing about the iDevices is that they are attractive to developers, so I think I could see SE launching them if the Final Fantasy games succeed.

Peace,

manaman