oil discussion

A place where you can chat about whatever.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

kirby
Dino Fish

oil discussion

Post by kirby »

Yes, I am wanting to open a new thread to specifically talk about oil, for the following reasons:

1) Faalstar never posted on the other thread which is a first
2) So it can not be banned for being off-topic
3) This has probably been the most fun I have had arguing a topic with humes in my entire life
4) So I could get you to realize how big of a part oil and petroleum products actually play your lives

Now that that list is done, I now have a list of different ways oil is used in everyday life. Here is the list:

:hof: If you drive a non-electric car you are using oil
:hof: If you go to the hospital and they use nylon or latex gloves they are using oil
:hof: If you board a flight at an airport to visit your relatives you are using oil
:hof: If you get on a boat to go fishing you are using oil
:hof: If I remebering correctly GPS systems use satelittes which run off of oil
:hof: If there is an electric transformifier near where you live you are using oil
:hof: If you do not burn your garbage and instead have a waste or sewage company pick it up you are using oil

As you can see oil affects many aspects of the transportation insustry, now is there anyone here (specifically Ailise), who would like to argue more on the topic because I am more than happy to oblige.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Re: oil discussion

Post by Deques »

I got rabbit teeth

Meh, I just don't know what you want.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Deques wrote:I got rabbit teeth

Meh, I just don't know what you want.
If you do not know already you probably never will, but right now I just want Ailise to see the point I'm getting at and see her accept that it will affect her too.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Look, kirby, if this is something personal, then you take this via PMs. Don't take this in public. Because if this is between you and Ailise, then do it in private. I don't think everyone else want to see something you want to convince something to a certain person.
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Actually it both is and is not. I only want to convince Ailise, the rest of you I want to hear your stance upon the issue and any other disagreements with the data I have obtained, etc.

Just tell me what you think on the subject.
Also, look at reason #3 as to why I made a new thread for this topic.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

I just wonder, if satellites run on oil. How do you refill the oil? Send a new rocket into the space?
kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Deques wrote:I just wonder, if satellites run on oil. How do you refill the oil? Send a new rocket into the space?
Actually they need oil for lubrication, not fuel. After about 5 - 10 years of a satellite being in orbit without some oil for lubrication, they pretty much become scrap and fall to Earth, all be it most of them get burned up in the atmosphere if that happens.
Tyrfillich
Evil Sword

Post by Tyrfillich »

Hey, I just realised who Kirby reminds me of! Chantards of Seikens, doesn't this guy remind you of Kimmo, minus the advertising?

That being said, I'll have you know Kirby that the transformers used in my city are magnet-based and contain no moving parts. On top of that most of this dump city is running on hydroelectricity. I don't drive, rarely ever visit the hospital (and the few times I have had to it's always been reinforced sterile cotton gloves), my relatives don't visit me because I don't like them, I find your idea of satellites using oil to be plausible only at arm's length and I actually *do* burn as much of my garbage as possible. So rocks and wet noodles to you.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

kirby wrote:
Deques wrote:I just wonder, if satellites run on oil. How do you refill the oil? Send a new rocket into the space?
Actually they need oil for lubrication, not fuel. After about 5 - 10 years of a satellite being in orbit without some oil for lubrication, they pretty much become scrap and fall to Earth, all be it most of them get burned up in the atmosphere if that happens.
The only thing keeping the satellites in orbit is the Earth's gravitational pull. A satellite is essentially something that is falling to the curve of the earth. A satellite is moving at the same rate the earth rotates (roughly 24 hours). There is no oil needed for orbit as there is nothing in the satellite to make it orbit.

Here is a simple explanation of orbit that should be easy for you to follow.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question378.htm
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

In a absolute vacuum, there wouldn't be a use for lubrication... derp.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

I feel that I am still missing the point of this topic...
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

Kassiday:

That about sums it up.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

kirby
Dino Fish

Post by kirby »

Kassidy wrote:I feel that I am still missing the point of this topic...
Ignoring what Faalstar has said... the point of this topic is for you to realize how much oil plays a part in everyday lives. That and I redid my calculations and the Internet has a 73% chance of surviving.

There would be virtually (some forms of transprtation would be available) no forms of transportation. Airports would become desolate; factories would shut down; there would be massive waves of communicable diseases from malnutrition, water pollution, transformers exploding, lack of medical supplies etc.; there would be no way to distribute supplies etc.. Do you see how many consequences this would cause? You also have to keep in mind this is only a fraction of the list.

Also, Tyrfillich if what you say is true, then good for you, and besides that you did not answer all the bullet points, if you own a car and drive to college and work etc, you are using oil. Anyhow, the rest of you who have not put your perspective on the subject you would have to figure out how to survive without those commodities for 40 years.

Anyways, I put this up because one must be aware of the signs of the times.
Faalstar
Site Admin

Post by Faalstar »

DeadWolf wrote:Image
That picture makes me laugh everytime. Kudos, my friend.