Cave Story

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

LunarWisp
Iffish

Cave Story

Post by LunarWisp »

It's so inactive as of late... Hopefully that will be fixed by Summer. Anyway, has anyone here played Cave Story? It was a popular game on a site I used to go to, and now that it's been released on WiiWare, I thought it would be a perfect chance to try it out. Obviously, it's a great game. Pretty linear, and it's a lot more difficult than it is long, but it's a very nice game, and for just twelve dollars!

There is the freeware version of the game, but what kept me away from that one was the platform. I'm very bad at playing action-based games on the computer, with exceptions like Seiken Densetsu 3. Even though the Wii version is free, I feel I've enjoyed it more than I would have enjoyed the freeware version.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: Cave Story

Post by DeadWolf »

I've played it on the PC about 300 times. PSP a good 250. I have it on my Wii but haven't really had the time to mess with it. I only did the boss run. The updated graphics and music is worth the $10 alone.

I'm still waiting on LaMulana to come to Wiiware.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

Oh, it's on the PSP? I didn't know, I thought this was it's first non-PC release.
The updated graphics are certainly nice. The new music wasn't good, though, due to the whole drum track disabling.

LaMulana? I can't say I'm familiar with it.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

It's a homebrew on the PSP so you need Custom Firmware to run it.

La Mulana is another freeware PC game being ported over to the Wii with updated graphics and music. Nicalis is also responsible for this port.

PC Version Here

You need to have XP to run it. Doesn't run on Vista and 7 (The reason I dual boot XP and 7). You may also want to have a guide handy. Some of the puzzles require you to be Japanese and there are some game ending glitches if you mess up.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

RIght then, well, I can forget about the PC version, but I may look at the Wii version when it comes out. I read it's Wikipedia article, it DOES kind of remind of Cave Story with the more-than-8-bit-but-not-quite-16-bit graphics.
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Post by DeadWolf »

La Mulana is more of a exploration style game that takes after the older MSX games like Maze of Galious where the story is screwed up and doesn't kick in until the middle of the game. The games is really difficult. It's not something that most people actually finish because of its difficulty and lack of direction. It's a game that one wouldn't play through more than once. It's a game that's hard to jump.

Cavestory is a Metroid like game with a really good story. Much more fun to play but it's short. There are various choices throughout the game with weapons and such. There is also the 3 endings which add to the replay value. Cavestory is difficult nearing the end but nothing the average gamer can't handle. It's challenging and fun. I really think that everyone should give Cavestory a try.

Speaking of the Wii version of Cavestory. Is Curly Braces story the game through her eyes or do you just play the regular story as her?
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

You play through the regular story as her. The only difference is that she isn't silent like Quote is. Usually when she speaks to Quote, she just implies that he's talking to her. He does speak for himself at times, but only about twice in the game, if I remember correctly.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

I'm actually beating it on the Wii right now. It's a fantastic game made all the better by the fact it was one man's dedication and generosity that brought it to us. It was my first freeware indie game ever and I played through it enjoying it so much. I did enjoy having a USB controller with turbo, though. Once I got my main gun powered up all the way where I could hover with it, I had the turbo on which allowed me to never run down my meter and lose the ability to fly but I could do it indefinitely. It was the best soft cheat I've ever used. Needless to say, playing without it on the Wii has made the game that much more challenging and enjoyable.