Voice Acting quality - Does it make or break the game?

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Marini
Zombie

Voice Acting quality - Does it make or break the game?

Post by Marini »

Hi Friends,

To preface - I've be eagerly awaiting the NA release of Arc Rise Fantasia since its reveal about two years ago or so. For those who don't know, the localization for NA was first picked up by XSEED (I believe Rising Star Games is handling the PAL release), but it has since changed hands and is now going to be published by Ignition Entertainment. But when the first videos of the English dub were shown, the feedback has been, to put it mildly, negative - mostly directed to the voice acting, among other things.

Now maybe, it's because I missed out on the generations when voice acting in consoles became the norm (my last home console system before the Wii was a SNES) or maybe I just didn't play enough games with voice acting in them, but from what I've heard so far - the voices in Arc Rise Fantasia aren't "grating my ears" as some other posters on various sites have said.

Despite feeling little dejected by the negative response, I still plan on purchasing the game regardless of the voice acting. And somehow I feel the all the ranting is blown out of proportion - but maybe that's just me. =*)

But how do the rest of you feel? Would a game's voice acting turn you off from the game entirely? I don't mean like sending Ignition a message (as if one less purchase would tell them their localization efforts are lackluster) but simply based off the game's voice acting - you wouldn't play the game.

Just looking for your thoughts - sorry if too long ^-^;
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: Voice Acting quality - Does it make or break the game?

Post by DeadWolf »

Can't say that it could make or break a game. But I'm sure if Metal Gear Solid had bad voice actors it wouldn't be so well received.

On the other side, Final Fantasy XIII is almost unplayable because of Vanille and Fangs annoyingly fake accents. I die a little inside every time one of them talks.
LunarWisp
Iffish

Post by LunarWisp »

Voices can certainly be either annoying or well-done, but voice acting doesn't make nor break a game. Though, being the Nintendo fanboy that I am, I'd be happy to see voice acting of any quality in the games I play.

Final Fantasy IV on the DS epitomizes my opinion on this. Some of the voices are perfect for their respective characters (Cecil, Edge, Fusoya...) while others are somewhat poorly done (Rydia and Rosa sounds almost identical...), but either way, I'm just glad that voice acting was in the game. I like to see what voices the developers can give to their own characters.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I haven't really played many games with voice acting, but I can tell you one thing. The re-releases of Mario games on GBA that add in voices annoy the heck outta me.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I think it does...

A game with bad acting in it would more than likely spoil the experience for someone who's interested in the story.
Abdul_Moti
Specter

Post by Abdul_Moti »

indeed it true, comrade Duran.

Fortunately no games translated (with voice acting) to Bahasa yet, since most of dubbers here performed poorly.