E3

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Ailise
Site Admin

E3

Post by Ailise »

Well, I've seen all the key notes now. Here is my impression.

I think I had the lowest expectations with Nintendo, they would probably only have a new gadget to connect to the Wii =/
With Microsoft it was the Kinect thingy that when they presented it as Natal is sounded so awesome.
And Sony was the Wii Mote with a lamp on top which they called MOVE.

Well... I was most impressed by Nintendo I must say.

The Kinect thingy was so boring, it was like watching Wii all over again but now with no controller. Funny is that MS even release with Kinect Wii Sports.... uhm... I mean Kinect Sport, watching it at work it didn't feel cool at all any more, just idiots jumping around.

Sony Move is like some kind of combo between kinect and wii mote... still boring, the thing is this whole wii business was fun and new and excited when it just came out with the wii. Now it's not, it's just copy and tiny improve tactics. (like adding a lamp on top that changes color xD )

As for Nintendo, there was no new add-on to the Wii... BUT GAMES!!! finally! Besides the usual Zelda, Metroid games... they even show an AWESOME kirbi game made of all yarn. It looked so fun.
There was a new Golden Sun... and GoldenEye!! and Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Kid Icarus and Epic Mickey (looked pretty interesting). They also display their new Nintendo 3DS which is 3D display but without the glasses. Well... no pictures where shown as 3D kinda only works in person.

Talking about 3D... Sony had lots of focus on 3D gaming to be played on the 3D TV... which btw is funny because their 3D TV is so darn expensive no one can afford it anyway.

But I feel Nintendo won this E3... MS was ok... Sony sucked there was to much (boring) talking and even advertising CocaCola in the middle of the show, that was just Lame!
DeadWolf
Spikey Tiger

Re: E3

Post by DeadWolf »

I think Microsoft did the worst. They bragged about built in WiFi as being revolutionary. The new 360 just included stuff that was already a standard in the Wii and PS3. I also noticed that the new 360 design STILL has a disc tray and will probably suffer from the same problem all 360's have... Laser Burn.

Nintendo just rocked the **** house. 3DS looks just amazing. MGS 3 on it looks totally awesome. There are also rumors of OoT coming to the 3DS.

I can't wait till this dumb movement gimmick is over. It was pretty neat when Nintendo and Sony experimented with movement with the launch of the WII and PS3 but now it has gotten out of hand. Kinect looks like a joke and something I'd rather not waste my money on.
Densetsu no Alact?
Goblin

Post by Densetsu no Alact? »

Secret of Mana will come to iPhone... oh great! what I would like to say.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Secret of Mana? to iPhone? Meh
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

Of the little I saw of Kinect, specifically, the Forza demo, one of the first things I thought about was how cool this would be at a Auto Show or something, not in a game. It seems to me, the potential for Kinect seems to lie outside of gaming - but I could be wrong.

As for Sony's Move - I'm indifferent. It will, however, be interesting to see how consumers respond to it once it hits the streets.

As as for Nintendo's line up (all I can really comment on :* ) I was really excited to see Golden Sun! The new LOZ looked beautiful and I loved the style used in Kirby's Epic Yarn. But with the debut of the 3DS (looks fantastic - can't wait to see that up close) I couldn't shake the feeling that focus was shifting away from the Wii. Could be my imagination...
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Oh my gosh,

I'm still on an E3 high and I can assure you that Nintendo has floored me. Now I'm an opinionated and nostalgic old man, but there wasn't anything beyond Journey, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 that interested me from the other consoles. Nintendo definitely stole the show and WON!

As far as Nintendo goes, I've got a list as long as my arm of games that got added to my wish list. Donkey Kong Country Returns is REALLY exciting me. I'm really hopeful for Disney Epic Mickey because it sounds like a great concept. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword looks like a dream come true. Kirby's Epic Yarn looks like a game I can't wait to play although if it weren't for the raving reviews, I may have been a little hesitant. Metroid: Other M needs to BE OUT and FlingSmash looks like an exciting new IP. Oh, and I'm even excited for Wii Party (though I'm guessing there are some nay sayers among you and the audience reaction wasn't necessarily enthusiastic was it?). GoldenEye 007 should be good for FPS fans and I actually am interested in it a bit as well but I'm probably more excited for Rayman Origins which looks surprisingly beautiful and poignant while maintaining the goofiness of the character. And this is all just the Wii announcements I'm talking about at this point! Heck, I'm even excited about Mario Sports Mix and that's something I didn't expect to be! And they didn't even cover WiiWare (of which Rayman Origins and the exciting Sonic the Hedgehog 4 will be)!

For the DS, there was an understandably smaller role at the expo but I'm really hyped about Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Sonic Colors is on my list of games to check out as it sounds like it will be a good Sonic Rush-esque outing. Super Scribblenauts and Ōkamiden both are on my list as well as the new Professor Layton outing which leads me to. . . .

The desire for a 3DS and:
  • A Boy and His Blob (Projected release)
    Asphalt GT (Projected release)
    Chocobo Racing 3D
    Contra (Projected release)
    Frogger (Projected release)
    Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Kingdom Hearts
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
    Mario Kart
    Ninja Gaiden (Projected release)
    Paper Mario
    PilotWings Resort (Heck yeah!)
    Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Here's the transition, see? It's Professor Layton)
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Super Street Fighter IV
DeadWolf, Iwata confirmed that Ocarina of Time will be released so don't you worry! I think the 3DS had an excellent lineup of third party developers which is just one reason the DS was so strong for so long. It's good to see that Nintendo's very aware of that and that they are keeping backwards compatibility. They haven't released any information on transferring DSiWare, but all the press questions have been answered in ways that leads me to be optimistic that the big N will deliver what people are concerned about.

For me, the 3DS really did two things past the DS: bumped up graphics and added the exciting new element of 3D which sounds like it will add great visuals but also new game mechanics to developers toolbox. I think this is really a good sign. It means that Nintendo is keenly of aware of adding elements that make their device stand out from a crowd but it also means they are aware that they've gotten to the top with some magic in their devices and they should stick to those concepts for a little while yet because they are still working.

Yay!

manaman