Your favorite non-Seiken Densetsu games

Everything from Apple to Zerglings

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

It is obvious there are games out there besides those in the Seiken Densetsu series and, heaven forbid, some of us might play them, so I decided to make this topic.

Name your favorite games, and maybe why. Because I know everyone would list all of the Seiken Densetsu games up at the top, lest they be instantly banned by me, I figured we would leave the Seiken Densetsu games out of this, just to keep the obvious away.

Maybe you like another series or something, I dunno, just say some stuff about games you like, work with me here.

Pikmin Series- I've always been fascinated by little bugs and such, so I instantly fell in love with the Pikmin series. The little weird ecosystem things they made up for the game makes it seem really indepth and what-not, you can really sink into it (save for the time limit... gar). It's got some pretty interesting strategy elements to it and it's just a game so far out of the box that it feels refreshingly new, like the way a new car smells or something.

Oblivion- SO MUCH STUFF TO DO. So many places, really cool rpg system thingy, it's just super indepth. Not much else to say, really beautiful too. My only downer for this game is there is a lack in creative and cool enemy designs.

Mario Series- Hey, it's Mario. EVERYONE LOVES MARIO OK. Mario Kart is awesome too.

Tetris- The straight piece.
Tetris- The square piece.
Tetris- The L shaped pieces.
Tetris- Those Z shaped pieces.
Tetris- That little weird other piece.
Tetris- That music!

Smash Bros. Series- People, this game is the coolest multiplayer game out there. I mean, how can a game where Mario beats Pikachu into the ground not be cool? This is just a great party game. Oh yeah, ICE CLIMBERS RULE!

I'm bored now, so maybe I'll post some more games I like later.
Deques
$("#Wai").stupidfy();

Post by Deques »

Tales of series - bestests action rpg series ever
Star Ocean 3 - The next bestests action rpg ever

i probably have a lot more favorites, but i dont know which.
Lotus
Grave Bat

Post by Lotus »

Dragon View for SNES is a very cool action RPG
Zelda Series (Pretty obvious from the fact that I am making a Seiken Densetsu game with the Zelda Classic game builder)
Skies of Arcadia - Probably the only Turn-Based RPG I have ever beaten without pure frustration setting it.
Planescape: Torment for PC, probably the most demented and creepified RPG I have ever played, it was great. I got to rip off my own finger. Also the only game I have ever played where dying is the answer to the puzzle.
There are too many cool games though to really decide.
rrfish
Kimono Bird

Post by rrfish »

World of Warcraft- Being a major Role Playing geek, and playing strictly on RP servers, I find WoW to be the best MMORPG I have ever played. Other players generally seem friendly and enjoyable, there actually is a storyline one can keep up with, the fast pace style of play is quite refreshing, and the fact that I can do quests to gain massive exp vice killing the same damn boring creature over and over again just to level is quite refreshing.

Warcraft II- Loved the story, enjoyed the quests, love the tactical style of play, and I very much enjoyed the cartoon-like graphics.

Warcraft III- Same reasons Warcraft II, but I loved the added depth to the WC storyline.

Chrono Trigger- Phenomenal story, amazing character development, and a strong replay value.

Final Fantasy VII- An involving and intense storyline, flashy summons with plenty of substance, touching cut scenes, and I will never-ever forget the Death of Aeries cut scene (the song still touches this cold heart).

There is more, but at the moment I have such a headache that I can't think straight.
Densetsu no Alact?
Goblin

Post by Densetsu no Alact? »

Death Star Battle, aka 2D online flight game
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

GB: Zelda!
NES: Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Willow
SNES: Final Fantasy 6
Playstation: Final Fantasy 9

PC game Strategy: WarCraft III and Command and Conquer: Generals
PC game RPG: Oblivion, Dink Smallwood
PC game FPS: Half Life, BattleField 1942-Desert Combat, Unreal Tournament 1, Call of Duty1/2.
Currently addicted to: Morrowind!
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

Oh noes... Sheexy, thou has wronged me. Now I must spill my guts.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
One of the first things I noticed about this game was the responsiveness of my character's actions to my commands. After playing Tales of Symphonia, I sat there and wondered, "now, why can't this game play like Smash?" And then I realized it was because they don't have holes in the level you can fall through! :D

Phantasy Star Universe
So far this is my favorite MMO... mostly 'cause of the similarities it has with SoM. I'd compare it to WoW, but there isn't as much free-ranging action (or, for that matter, any RMT). So... you have to pick a mission in order to go anywhere. It annoys half the people I've met who play it, but I don't really have a problem with it. Now, I know it's Phantasy Star, at its core, but I defer judgement on the other games in the series as I've ever only played the online-available ones. For the record I play on PS2, and used to play PSO on GameCube - which is actually vastly different in a lot of ways, and still has all the elements I liked (minus the MAG and the Photon Blasts).

Ragnarok Online
Despite the random monster nudity, sometimes annoying players, lack of a well-translated story, and old graphics (I play SoM, so... yeah, why would that be a concern of mine?) - not to mention the annoying properties of WoE and the complete bot-infested crap dungeons, this game *CAN* be fun. Just, without having played it recently, and not really wanting to of late, it hasn't been for quite awhile. There is a sequel due out (completely 3D game) which I am sort of into after hearing the intro song, but I'm not going to touch it unless I can get it for free.

Advance Wars DS
I'll be realistic. I would never, ever have touched this game if I had known I was going to become obsessed. But the fact of the matter is, I enjoy devastating the Hard Mode computer. Since I'm nearly done with the game (I have yet to survive survival mode and get all A's), I hope they release another soon. And having recently found out these are the same people who made Fire Emblem...

Fire Emblem Series
I have ever only played the one on the GC, except for a little test-drive I took a few of the JP ones on, which didn't last long since it wasn't much translated. But after using Roy for quite awhile in Smash Melee, I'd put this series on my favorites list for no other reason.

Bomberman 64 and Bomberman: The Second Attack!
Two games on the N64 that were, and still are drastically underrated. While the frame rates were comparatively slow, to what we have nowdays, I love the character design and gameplay, not to mention a good 2/3 of the music. If there were any parts of the Bomberman series that deserve to be revived, it'd be those. Just to state my opinion, Bomberman Hero was a flop. Jumping should never have entered into the equation.

Tetris
Yes, I do like it. No, I don't play it often. And yes, I suck. So sue me. What this game lacks: explosions. I think completing a row by placing the last block on the side ought to blow a one-block-space hole in the wall, allowing me to make horizontally longer rows, and increasing the difficulty of wiping out more than one row at a time, even if the overall difficulty of making a single row decreases (it would decrease my frustration, at least).

Tales of Series
While I have never completed a game in this series on my own, I do enjoy how much like Smash Bros it feels, on the consoles anyway. I don't like all the secret stuff they gypped us out of in the U.S. version of Tales of Symphonia (secret attacks, etc.), or at least I don't like the fact that the version of the game I had to play lacked it, but hey, it seems like it was a real pain to pull off. Tales of the Abyss looks far cooler, IMO, and the music sounds more like Mana music than stuff from the Mega Man X series (which is what ToS sounded like in some ways, mixed with stuff from Golden Sun). I'm currently playing ToA, so my final verdict on that one is out, but it's cool enough to make my list.

Golden Sun
Alex was the best villain evar. Hands down. And all the main characters except Garet were pretty cool, too. I absolutely hated the Wise One. What this game lacked in sufficient quantities was interactivity - I wish they'd make a Wii-quel, in at least semi-action-RPG style. Ha, Wiiquel... now I've coined a new phrase. May gawd curse my broken mind, to fix it.

I have a whole boatload of other games I could put on the list, but I'm in a rush of sorts, so I'll finish it later. Saves some discussion for when I'm more bored than busy.
Tallon
Kimono Bird

Post by Tallon »

KINGDOM HEARTS series: This is probably my favorite series ever!!! I love the concept, the story, the gameplay!!! I love everything about the games!!!

Star Ocean 3: this game just rocks!!! It is for the hard-core RPGer and Completionist!!!! I love it.

Onimusha series (up to three only): This series has always delivered a great story, and the ability to turn on the system and just kill demons at will is nice. No having to watch endless cut scenes to get to the demons.

The Zelda series: Ocarina is my favorite, and Twilight is my second favorite.

The Tales of series: awesome series, always great stories, and great games.

I will admit it, I love FFX. I think it is a great story. I got so into it, that I cried at the end. I don't care so much for FFX-2's story (it sucks) but the game concept is fun, and it is a game designed for competionists!!!

Legend of Dragoon, and Legend of Legaia
Densetsu no Alact?
Goblin

Post by Densetsu no Alact? »

woah, i guess i should add some more text to my favourite game.

Death Star Battle
This ain't a game with flashy 3d graphic, nor does it have advanced 2d graphic. it doesn't have any real goal in it either, although you can join a squad and enter in organized competition against other squads. i'm not in some squad though, i just play there for fun and to get better ofc. http://www.deathstarbattle.com/ for you who wants to try it XD
Last edited by Densetsu no Alact? on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

My favorite non-mana games are 1.Tales of phantasia -Awsome can't even begin to fit the description of this game. 2.Chrono Trigger -Sort of like the mana series. 3.Breath of Fire 1/2 -Great two games, although I like 1 better then 2. 4.Record of the Lodoss war -Nice story, characters, music, monsters, towns, etc. and also made based on a cool anime/manga. 5.Fire Emblem/Sacred stones -Once agian the original Fire Emblem is better then the second Fire Emblem the Sacred stoned and a great stratagy game. Pretty good list, right Sheexy? Oh and Shogo/Septera core. Great games which are not know by a lot of people. If you want to learn more just go at shogo-mad.com or Lithtech.com
Last edited by Danny on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero of Spirits
Ma Goblin

Post by Hero of Spirits »

Sheexy wrote:Pikmin Series- I've always been fascinated by little bugs and such, so I instantly fell in love with the Pikmin series. The little weird ecosystem things they made up for the game makes it seem really indepth and what-not, you can really sink into it (save for the time limit... gar). It's got some pretty interesting strategy elements to it and it's just a game so far out of the box that it feels refreshingly new, like the way a new car smells or something.
WOOHOO!!! I love PIkmin!!!!! THe idea of making an adorable flower army and destroying giant creature was awsome!! I also am a huge fan off Super Smash series, and have been playing since N64. My other favorite by far Is half life, with counter strike source as the best. If anyone else plays css, then look up Maddot_66, that's me. :)
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

mine is the following:

Dragon Quest
Its the rival series of Final Fantasy in Japan. It is the opitome of old-school gaming and was created by Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama, who also made Chrono Trigger, as well as a beautiful soundtrack by Koichi Sugiyama. Its incredibly well-respected in Japan, it even was recognized as one of Japan's top 10 popular games. Unfortunately, with the massive hype of Final Fantasy here in the states, DQ is indredibly underrated.

King of Fighters
A very technical fighting game series by SNK (now SNK/Playmore). The orignial crossover game, its an excellent 2D fighter that is incredibly difficult to master (not to mention the uber-cheap bosses), its just too bad I can't say the same for the 3D renditions. Its definately a series that has a large cult following, and is respected among fighting game fans.

Jet Grind Radio
The first game to involve cell-shaded graphics, its a hell of a lot of fun, despite the premise: You play a small gang of kids on roller-blades, and you go around tagging on buildings and signs, while tricking off almost everything and avoiding the authorities and mafia.

Xenosaga
While most condsider it more of a "movie" than a game, its kinda like a sci-fi rendition of the bible....with mechs...Anyway, the story is pretty good and while Xenosaga 2 was pretty dissapointing, the series not bad overall.
Sexy wrote:Smash Bros. Series- People, this game is the coolest multiplayer game out there. I mean, how can a game where Mario beats Pikachu into the ground not be cool? This is just a great party game. Oh yeah, ICE CLIMBERS RULE!

I'm bored now, so maybe I'll post some more games I like later.
Not only are you a Pika-hater, but you use ICE CLIMBERS!? You're so asking for some pwnage!!!
Krow
Mushboom

Post by Krow »

Oh My Gosh! its to much to list but here it goes

Playstation:
Entire FF series:Cause it's freaking FF! (well except for crystal chronicles)

StarOcean series:I found it very original and I loved the battle system

Parasite Eve 1/2:First of its kind and it was actually ok to have a female lead role;no im not sexist I just feel uncomfortable having the role of a chick being a guy :p.

Tales Of series:Well its already been explained multiple times so im not gonna bother.

Chrono Trigger,Chrono Cross,and Radical Dreamers: Im pretty positive everyone knows that the chrono series is just kicka** but im guessing only a few of you have played radical dreamers for snes it was originally in JAP format but kind translators took the project on and now there is a english patch if interested in it go to http://www.nerologic.com and download it tho I have to warn you all now its alot different from ChronoTrigger/Cross.

Vagrant Story:I love Medieval RPGs with a extreme gothic twist

Suikoden Series:Very political and deep stories and I love war うはwwwwww.

BREATH OF FIRE SERIES:I cant even begin to express my love for this wonderful series it all started on the snes and has been a big hit ever since.I mean come on your a human who can turn into a dragon who wouldnt love that?

WildArms series:I wasnt too fond of it at first but after WildArms 2 came out I replayed 1 and decided that I was just being dumb that I couldnt recognize such a great RPG.

Saga Frontier series:There is just so much you can do in this game its hard for a hardcore RPG fan not to like this game and it also involves alot of war and politics.

Legend of Legaia:Unique battle system and wonderful story

Spyro series:I love dragons and platforms うはwwwwww

and I could go on and on and on cause I am very dexterous and own most systems and im a hardcore PC gamer but basically I love most games うはwwwwww im also a big FPS lover ^^.
Last edited by Krow on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

My Favorite games are as follows,

Specific games form the Zelda series --
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
I love this game even though I just started playing and I'm nowhere near finished. Now don't laugh at me but this is my first consol game in 11 years so I'm psyched! The game is beautiful and the movement is comfortable. Link's moves although are not new they are amazing to watch. Very addictive!

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
This was the first Zelda game that I owned. I don't think I've played a game that was so long and complicated and challenging. It took me forever to defeat Gannon...yeah yeah, it's cause I'm a girl isn't it? :P This was the game that started my love of rpgs.

The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
While I hated the fact that Link was reduced to the little cartoonish sprite... I thought it worked great in Minish cap. I loved how he was able to walk around within walls and bushes and I loved the wise cracking cap! He was hilarious! The difference betweening being fully grown and a minish was cool too. Very cute and lots of fun to play.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awaking
It's a Zelda game.... :D

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The lost Age
I loved the story and the fighting scenes especially the summoning. The puzzles were great too and the magic -- I loved the magic was used outside of battle the most. This was, for me, another beautiful game to play. J Person, I also hope Camelot comes out with another GS game. On the Wii would be preferable : D

Star Fox
I think Fox McCloud was the sole reason I played this game so many times... O.o
And the game's overall design was cool, too.

Street Fighter 2
It's a Street Fighter game! :D
BlueGenomes
Tomato Man

Post by BlueGenomes »

kudos to everyone that mentioned Chrono Cross and Trigger. Trigger is beyond addicting and Lucca is the best Video game character in the history of the universe (In my opinion). Cross on the other hand is like the most fantastic book anyone could ever read. Has anyone ever noticed that Chrono Cross has a lot more vivid colors than any other video game? I mean, that really adds to the beauty of it. Not to mention the music...and everything else. Yeah.

Aside from that, I'm a huge fan of the side-scrolling SNES games, but to be specific, Kirby Super-stars, Yoshi's Island, and Donkey Kong Country 2. I still play those religiously.

And i love Shining Force I and II for the Sega Genesis, as well as Phantasy Star 4 (Was on the genesis looooong before the more-popular Phantasy Star Online came around).

Not to mention Final Fantasy 4, 6, 9 and Tactics.

Oh, and the Sims. Can't forget the Sims. Especially Sims Bustin' Out on the Ps2, that has got to be my favorite of the whole series.