hmm :T

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Tomoji
Evil Sword

hmm :T

Post by Tomoji »

it's always bothered me but... Stroud (SwoM) and Stroud (DoM) both have the same names
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Re: hmm :T

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Masked Guru = Granz = name of kingdom in FFA, name of a character in SwoM
Anise = Medusa in SwoM

I think they're just trying to use the same names so it "feels more Mana" or something, cause I can't really find a way that SwoM and DoM and the likes stories could be mixed together very well.
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

A number of names are reused throughout the series. Emperor Vandole is one such example, I recall. I think Sheexy is right in saying it's just to make the games feel connected, while not really confirmed as so. Though, characters that share names are usually the exact same person in their games. Niccolo is always the greedy rabbit-merchant, Emperor Vandole is always the Mana/Power addicted emperor, etc.

Also, happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

What is really interesting with the whole same names thing is that Niccolo isn't called Niccolo in the Japanese games, he's called Nikita... the same Japanese name as Neko.

In fact, a Sword of Mana guide I have even remarks back to characters that have been in the different games, and it lists Niccolo and Neko as the same person.

I just really can't bring myself to think of them like that though XD
In fact he's not a rabbit at all, LoM refers to him as a cat!
Children of Mana is the first game to not call him just a cat, they call him a Rabbit Cat.

Really weird stuff!
ReasonsUnknown
BuzzBee

Post by ReasonsUnknown »

I'd be more confused if his name stayed Nikita/Neko. They are the same personality wise, and it's alright if they want to call him a Rabbit Cat, but all I see is a anthropomorphic Rabbit.

Actually while I was typing Niccolo I typed Neko first. They serve the same role, but differ in form. Honestly, though, I suppose they don't need to look alike. It makes sense if they're the same person, to me. I guess that it also makes sense during Niccolo's Business Unusual Part 1; where he is "destined" to be with Daena. She is clearly the cat, while Niccolo is a... well he's got a cat's tail, two actually. And his face is cat, but it could also be rabbit. His ears are clearly rabbit.
*Sigh* I don't question a living Teapot, but this whole Rabbit or Cat or 'Rabbat' business is just too much!

[Content = Detailed Synopsis] Going back to the name thing, I don't remember if Emperor Vandole appeared in the same form with each appearance. I just checked while writing this: Emperor Vandole, as he appears in the prologue of Sword of Mana (before pressing start) looks like his Secret of Mana counter part; red cape, horned helmet, and gold & black armor. However, his appearance in game is obviously different than his SoM one.

By the end of this post I came to realize that their appearances don't really matter; I was just being thorough. As long as the purpose the character serves is the same, they can be considered the same character (in some incarnation, regarding the different dimensions/worlds, what have you). Nikita is the greedy merchant, Vandole is the evil emperor, etc. Watts is another good example, he is always the short blacksmith, usually of dwarven descent, you can tell who he is in each game just by looking at him, but his look varies a bit from game to game (In LoM he doesn't even have a beard! The only thing in that game that disappointed me) [/Detailed Synopsis]
Tomoji
Evil Sword

Post by Tomoji »

ohh thanks >v<
I forgot all about the other characters like watts and Niccolo that have appeared multiple times xD