Princess of Mana: The Information-ing

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Zerrin
Lullabud

Princess of Mana: The Information-ing

Post by Zerrin »

As I have previously pointed out on Google+ (BTW, if anyone here is on there, feel free to add me to your circles!), I have recently come into posession of all five volumes of Princess of Mana, the most mysterious piece of the puzzle that is the World of Mana compilation (not counting Friends of Mana, of course!)

Anyway, while this is pretty exciting, it bears mentioning that I know very little Japanese, and the majority of that is katakana. Basically, when it comes to the dialogue, I pretty much don't know what the Mavolia is going on. So, in the end, it really all boils down to me trying to figure out the plot through the panels alone.

That said, if anyone with greater "Nihowledge" than myself would be interested in the potential development of a fan-translation, please contact me ASAP as I would love to make such a thing happen!

Anyway (again), what little I can provide is a very brief bio of the main trio, seen here.

The one we have come to know as Ferrik Jr.⁶ is Ian. (No, I am not kidding. I know, biggest case of Aerith and Bob I think I've ever seen (in comparison to other Mana protagonists).) 16 y/o, 162cm, born in Wendel(?) (the question mark is actually in the bio, BTW). Oh, and he is likened to Ferrik in some way at least once in every single chapter.

Ian's two companions are Nico (a.k.a. Princess Peach) and Ema (a.k.a. Bandit Chain Guy). No, I did not get the names mixed up. Both 16 y/o, both 160cm, both born on Illusia. Appear to be fraternal twins; apparently Tess' descendants.

And that's it for now. Despite it "not being very good" as some have claimed, I still think it's important we get this into English somehow.
Zergrinch
Kid Goblin

Re: Princess of Mana: The Information-ing

Post by Zergrinch »

I suppose scanning it is out of the option, right? :)
Zerrin
Lullabud

Post by Zerrin »

Zergrinch wrote:I suppose scanning it is out of the option, right? :)
I suppose I could, but they are in near-mint condition and I'd rather keep them that way if it can be helped.

Still, I'll probably try it, just to see how much stress it would put on the spine(s).

UPDATE: I don't have a scanner of my own, so I'm gonna head to the library tomorrow and try using the one there. If successful, I'll try scanning in the dustcovers for each volume (there's a quip from Satsuki Yoshino on one of the inside folds of each) and the front and back covers of the books proper:
  • Volume 1 has a 4-koma comedy/FAQ thing on each side
    Volumes 2-4 have short character bios
    Volume 5 has a large group picture
Another little thing I've found: Ian is a member of a group of knights called Schicksal (シクザール, German for "destiny"), while the antagonistic group appears to be called Exhatio (エクスハティオ). I Googled the term, and there were a lot of Japanese Twitter links in which two names repeatedly appear, "Tanaka" and "Ikoma". Neither of them appears to be at all related to PoM, so it's probably nothing.
Zerrin
Lullabud

Post by Zerrin »

Success!! Well, partial success.

I've managed to upload the jackets (complete with artist quips) and the front and back covers of the first two volumes. You should be able to find them here.

EDIT (09/06/2012): The album has now been updated with scans of the jackets and front and back covers of all five volumes. The link remains the same.
bastian
Weepy Eye

Post by bastian »

I'd really, really like to see a fan translation of these. I'm so curious about this missing link in the Mana series.
Gusztaw
Rabite

Post by Gusztaw »

Someone realise that this Ian have a look alike Poppoi?
I mean his hair and this plums out of it...
Well, knowing Poppoi is a Sprite and this boy looks like an human to me, (If anyone remember that in Seiken Densetsu 3 Charllote is a Sprite too and they say the sprites comes from an union between humans and Elfs) do you think they can be in some level relatives?
And this girl too... her color scheme is the same as Purin...
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I got the first one while I was in Japan, but I haven't paid it much attention. First thing I noticed was that the art was pretty meh, or at least I thought. First issue had mostly boring panels of characters and very little that really said "Mana" to me.

I need to pick up the others sometime.