Secret of Mana Editor!

Discuss the Seiken Densetsu Series here.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

coqui
Polter Chair

Secret of Mana Editor!

Post by coqui »

Some guy is making a Secret of Mana editor!
One can change almost anything in the game, and then dump the .rom back to play on an emulator!

http://somedit.blogspot.com/

Check it out!

Hellfunk
Lullabud

Re: Secret of Mana Editor!

Post by Hellfunk »

This looks awesome, I hope it's easier to use than hyrule magic for alttp.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I think I'd be more interested in uncovering different neat things in the background of the game than actually making anything, but this is neat.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Not sure if this should be a topic of its own but this raises an interesting question: If given carte blanche to create a Seiken/Mana game, what would you do? You're free to develop it on any existing platform, can hire whomever you want to animate, compose music, etc. and have total creative control over the story line. Furthermore, it does not need to fit in anywhere on the existing Mana timeline if you don't want it to. Just curious to hear other's thoughts.
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

It would have visuals similar to Tales of Vesperia. Image

For character designer I would pick the artist that did Childen of Mana. Not too many non human characters like LoM did. I guess a fat cat is a must have for the series now. Image

I would make the overworld similar to Ni no Kuni http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlPlq7-0Bs4&t=3m50s. Flammie is a must.

The ring-menu must be back. The gameplay continues as the ring-menu is open. This way coop gameplay is possible and fun. Same thing for magic: The game doesn't freeze as magics are displayed.

Magics with different effects; are useful.

Dungeons should have small puzzles.

A standard RPG. No SD4 stuff.

For story, something simple, but with twists here and there.

I would do visible weapons AND armors.

Can equip and use 2 weapons @ once.

Skill tree similar to LoM, where you get more skill as you go.

A more action rpg style core gameplay. With block button, not just stats evasion etc.

As for music; bring back Hiroki Kikuta.

I would name is SD5: Secret of Mana 2.

This game makes itself.
Last edited by coqui on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Coqui,

Excellent choices! I've never played Tales of Vesperia but that screen shot looks great! I'm also a big fan of the ring menu from Secret of Mana as opposed to clunky, uder-unfriendly one from Sword of Mana. Kikuta as composer is the natural choice as well but my dream team would be a collaboration between Kikuta, Uematsu and Bo from Sega Master system/Genesis fame. Consequently, I would also like to see this game developed for the 3DS given its graphical capabilities/limitations. Composers used t work magic within the confines of 8 and 16 bit processing.
Less is more for me and, while I liked some of the seed growing, job enhancement add-ons from Legend and Sword, a dumbed-down version for us old timers would be greatly appreciated. I don't need 16 playable characters with 327 possible job classifications. Just give me the sword, spear, whip, Boomerang and a slightly larger axe than Secret of Mana's and we're in business.
I would also do away with the dungeon crawler/ hack n slash feel of Children of Mana in favor of a well balanced weapon and elemental attack system. Unlike you I kinda like not having to think about defending/blocking but I agree that the game should not essentially pause while cycling through elemental attacks. Action is good so long as you have enough time to call elementals while your other characters attack. Speaking of which, three characters was a brilliant move on Square's part and something they never should have gotten away from. Each one is managable and it allows for much more character development.
Items should be limited but not to 4 pieces of cand or chocolate. I'm playing the 4 heroes of Light right now and you're limited to 15 total items per character which includes weapons, aromor and any spell books! Not acceptable. What is acceptable in every Mana game I've played is the number of enemies. Whereas Phantasy Star is marred by army after army of monsters and terribly long battles Mana has always felt just right to me. I want to explore and enjoy the world, not hack and slash my way through it.
Well, I'd type more buy my kids are causing my wife difficulties so I'm hitting the highway. Thanks for entertaining my question!
Zergrinch
Kid Goblin

Post by Zergrinch »

There might be a problem with not pausing the game when opening the ring menu. How on earth are you supposed to navigate the menu when pressing, say, left, would make your character go left?
coqui
Polter Chair

Post by coqui »

Zergrinch wrote:There might be a problem with not pausing the game when opening the ring menu. How on earth are you supposed to navigate the menu when pressing, say, left, would make your character go left?
Hi! Well there are two options that I know of:

1. The characters with an active ring-menu won't move, while all the other characters do, but can take damage. This way even the character with an active ring-menu can be killed. This means one must be quick while choosing.

2.The character with an active ring-menu will move along with the input given to the ring-menu. Also, can take damage and be killed.

This is a video from a game called Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. It uses a ring-menu like the Mana games. An example of the second type.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1nt3aUyLxM#t=2m31s
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Solution for multi-player: While player 1 has ring menu open, doesn't move and has increased Evade % (though not by much). Time slowed for other players, who can still move or open their own ring menus. If all players have ring menu active, game pauses.
Alternative solution for single-player: While player has ring menu open, doesn't move, AI players will prioritise protecting player from inbound attacks. Means there must either be separate button for pausing the game, either within or without the ring menu.
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Why not use one analog control/D-pad for the menu and the other to move the character?
Khyron
Iffish

Post by Khyron »

Kassidy,

I like the idea of making it the job of the gamer to put the character using elementals in a relatively safe place. Time should be of the essence but boosting that character's evade while in the menu makes a lot of sense too. Just as you can set the approach/evade grid for your other characters you could create a defend scale which would allow characters not using elementals to defend those who do. The FF games have employed this for years as characters who are warriors will often absorb damage for white mages and monks.
So who has a great story idea?
Kimiko
Tropicallo

Post by Kimiko »

Cheating? If you see an unavoidable hit coming, quickly open the menu to temp. boost your evasion stat.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

That is a fair point. Not 100% right now how to avoid that being exploited. Then again, when it comes to exploits in game, SoM does have a fair few already. ;)