Some SD3 manga-art planning

Expanding the Mana Universe. For fans, by fans.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

andyhello
BuzzBee

Post by andyhello »

Its late at night and i am so, SO exsausted that i can hardly even keep my eyes open.. but here i am!

So i was planning on creating this Seiken Densetsu little manga thingy, just something real cute and warm and fuzzy. Its probably not the best thing to plan when its midnight and you have EXAMS tomorrow =_=...
But i think its a cool idea, and ive seen how much drawing mangas can really boost your art skills and perspectives and everything and i just wanna make a lil' manga out of my favourite game.

WOW im rambling, but heres what i was planning to draw the art like.

This is my character design for Angela. I changed her dressy-thing and gave it weird little... things near the matieral that comes off of it. Heheh i gave her a red, sniffly nose, too.

This WAS going to be a drawing of Lise but it kinna... changed to my OC Joanne. But the point is, thats the kind of style in the manga, too.

And a scetch of an angry-looking Kevin. I dont really want him to be so brooding all the time, so imma gonna make him the kind of thick one who talks strange and neanderthol-like (which he already kinda does)and points out things that dont needed to be pointed out kinna thing.

WHELL thats it. It would be a suprise if i actually went on with it... I'm a massiveMASSIVE procrastinator, but weall can hope :p
If anyone has any suggestions or comments or even critiques theyre really welcome :)
Kefka
Whimper

Post by Kefka »

I still think you're a great artist! i like the work!
Straddon
Kid Goblin

Post by Straddon »

Interesting... like the Angela pic - very appropriate. :)

Does Kevin have his coonskin cap/beret/whatever? Or more appropriately, will he have a more visible one in the next pic? I'd say Kev is defined by his stupid hat, his fur vest, and mysteriously poor speech. I mean, he's a prince - the son of a king! Oh well, I guess it's a form of rebellion.
Last edited by Straddon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyhello
BuzzBee

Post by andyhello »

Yep, kevin still has his beret... Its not coloured but its sitting on his head.. Isnt to clear, is it -_-;
But yep, it is there, and in the next pic it'll be coloured and all prett-like.
My only trouble will be drawing Carlie and Duran... man theyre impossible.
Straddon
Kid Goblin

Post by Straddon »

I think i might have advice for you... curly hair is a nightmare for anyone accustomed to the anime/manga style of immensely puffy yet straight hair drawing, or for those simply unaccustomed to it. I would know - about 2-3 years ago, I started work on an SD3 manga. It was in traditional, semi-realistic style (in that facial proportions aren't superdeformed, but were still slightly 'delicate' or 'childlike' looking), and frankly, that was all I could draw then. 18 months ago I said I'd given up because I couldn't draw curly hair.

Now, I've shifted to action shots and scenes, in lighthearted-looking America comic style with occasional storyboards. It's not a proper comic, but it's good enough.

Try drawing stuff like dreads and ringlets, or try drawing slightly wavy hair. Use directional lines, but don't depend on them. I'd say Duran has loosely-curled or heavily wavy hair... Carlie's is tightly curled and bushy, kind of like cherubs and all. Experiment, as it's the only way to figure it out... good luck. :)
Genko
Mushboom

Post by Genko »

Those are great, and a Manga would be awesome.