Dancer of the Seasons (Poetry)

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Dancer of the Seasons

----

Slowly the dancer does unfurl,
Balanced upon her trembling stage;
A shy figure in the softest of green,
She poses against the wind's rage,
As from their sleep her fellows uncurl.

Elegant she sways over the ground,
The others join her in the dance-
As softest green gives way to emerald age;
Nothing in it is left to the whims of chance,
From spring to summer the cycle goes round.

She has changed her robes from green to gold,
While her fellows dance in scarlet hues;
Soon she knows she will fly-
Summer has given autumn its cues,
A graceful pirouette as to the ground she will fold.

She rests now beneath a mantle white,
A frozen sleep giving the dancer her rest;
But soon the sky will warm again-
The dancer live again at its behest.
Dancing from spring to autumn's final flight.
Last edited by Koren on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Wonderful poem Koren once again! I was thinking of making one myself called "rise to challenge". Something about a swordsman taking on an impossible to beat enemy, but I don't even think that it will begin to compare with yours!

Maybe my older sister could write it for me, byt we're both more of drawers so I'll just forget the whole idea. Great poem once again from me! You have a very artistic, realistic and symbolic way of seeing things and putting them into words. I always had a little trouble with doing that. Great poem once again, keep it up!^_^
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Thank you very much,

This was very enjoyable. I'm wondering if you care to share some of your thoughts about the meaning and genesis of this poem. That would be really neat.

Peace,

manaman
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Danny: All depends on how you write it. I'll give fair warning though- if you're not used to poetry, 'scene' poems like that can be pretty hard. Poetry tends to have a surrealistic bent and requires an ability to be able to twist the words just the right way. That's easier to do with ideas rather than stating a scene. You might want to try that before jumping into trying to do one about a warrior taking on such a task.

--

Manaman: The meaning was really nothing more than an idle whimsy and the genesis a memory from when I was a kid. We had a beautiful old tree in our back yard..it's been so long I can't even remember what type it was...but there was one branch that somehow got twisted a bit so it had twigs that were exposed more to the sun than those around it.
The "Dancer" in this was a leaf I'd noticed one year that sprouted before the others on its limb since it was getting the most sun. It always stood out because it's hue was always a bit deeper than the others- when they all turned red at autumn, it turned gold, likely due to the sunlight.
It was also the first leaf of that branch I saw fall that year. So I just took that memory and wove it into this poem. It's nothing particularly deep or meaningful- just a childhood memory about a leaf I watched from my bedroom window while I lived in the mountains.
Last edited by Koren on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Thanks for the tip Koren, I'll try to think more about it, but I'll just most likely start to draw again. I didn't do so for awile now and I don't want to lose that skill. I've got to keep up with your art form!:)

Ah, it must have been great to live in the mountain ranges. That breath taking sight and clean air. I remember going to my grandmother's home back in Romania (my country) when I was very small. It was great there, but all memories and experiences pass like she did... Nevermind that though.

I guess that I'll just have to go exploring when I'm older. Hmm, the traveling ninja sounds like a nice rank for me!^_^ Or maybe not...

Anyways, it's great to see that you put a great experience and childhood memory into a poem. You truely must have a talented mind to do that. Way to go on your poem, it truned out to be yet another excellent classic again!:-)
Last edited by Danny on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Hey Koren,

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I think that you have a real knack for poetry. I have another friend who is a very good poet. It's just good for the soul to read these things.

Very good for the soul. . . .

manaman
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

Very beautiful and colorful, Koren! Just like your dancer -- also very elegant. ^_^
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Danny: I can vouch you never actually lose your skill at drawing- just get a little out of practice. I went ahead and tried my hand at drawing again for the first time in a couple years and turned out a pretty decent dragon.

Hehe- and it just requires being able to look at the world a certain way, believe me. ;)

---

Manaman: Thank you! :) I'm just glad they're being so well received. Poetry appears to've fallen out of style with a lot of people. It's tricky to write stuff people seem to like. ^_^

----

Marini: ^-^; thank you! I was worried for a bit it might come off as awkward. A lot of my poetry is written for the effect of being spoken, so it sometimes looks weak in text. I'm glad you liked this one. ^_^
Danny

Post by Danny »

Koren wrote:Danny: I can vouch you never actually lose your skill at drawing- just get a little out of practice. I went ahead and tried my hand at drawing again for the first time in a couple years and turned out a pretty decent dragon.
Hehe- and it just requires being able to look at the world a certain way, believe me. ;)
I've noticed that a lot too in art. I guess that's what it's basically designed for. I'll get back to my drawings since I'll update my manga drawings topic soon enough. You're also right about never really being able to lose an artisic skill like drawing. I don't want to take that chance anyways, I'll love to see some of your drawings also!:-)
Marini
Zombie

Post by Marini »

Koren wrote:Marini: ^-^; thank you! I was worried for a bit it might come off as awkward. A lot of my poetry is written for the effect of being spoken, so it sometimes looks weak in text. I'm glad you liked this one. ^_^
You're quite welcome, Koren. I feel the same way when I write my own poetry.^-^; I will sometimes put a melody to my poems in my head but when I read the lines aloud they don't make sense or have no meaning.

Same thing happens when I write. I write actions scenes mostly so sometimes my characters don't seem to think -- like I leave out the internal monologue! =*) l o l

I may jump on the bandwagon and post a link to my crazy dA poetry. ;)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Interesting rhyme scheme you've got running there. The unrhymed one in the middle makes me feel weird, but it is pretty cool.

You're really good with imagery in your words, I especially liked the last section.
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Danny: Good luck with your artwork then. ;) *heh* I'm afraid you'll likely never see any of mine. ^_^; No scanner.

---

Marini: A trick I've found is to decide on the meter before I even begin. Rather than picking a tune (I save that for lyrics...slightly different set up there. ;) ), I simply tap my finger to find a good rhythm for the first stanza...from there it goes on.

Writing internal monologue if you aren't doing first person can be pretty tricky. :( I've got the reverse issue...I write pretty much only in first for my stories- as a result? Sometimes I spend more time in the character's head and very little on the actions outside of it.
Post some poetry~ I like reading other people's stuff. :)

----

Sheexy: It's a little one I toy with sometimes I've taken to calling mirroring. "ABCBA" for the scheme- like putting a hand to a mirror and looking at the reflection's arm leading away from where you're reaching. If that makes any sense, anyway.
I've another variation of it where I make all the C lines rhyme with one another through the stanzas. It's a fun challenge but didn't quite fit this one.
The last stanza was a little tricky- I didn't want to leave it too open ended but didn't want it to sound grim either. ^.^ Glad it worked out to your liking!
Danny

Post by Danny »

Koren wrote:Danny: Good luck with your artwork then. ;) *heh* I'm afraid you'll likely never see any of mine. ^_^; No scanner.
That's too bad that you don't have a scanner, but thanks for wishing me luck! I'll still see more of your poems and proses though so that's good. I hope you practise your drawings more too and find a scanner. Good luck to you too!^_^