Ancient Dream (lyrical, story based poetry)

Show off your mad skills and exchange creative tips.

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Just a little note on this one- these are technically lyrical rather than poetic since I don't deny heavy influence from what I was listening to at the time. These were thusly written to the tune & mood of the song though they've nothing to DO with it past that. It already had lyrics of it's own, even if I couldn't understand them. (For the curious, Ar Tonelico - Hoshiyomi is the disc, the song is Exec Harmonius). Anything Italicized was meant to be sung/said with the line over it. If it appears alone, it was something to be said very softly and near indistinctly.

Rotating perspectives here, though I think it's (hopefully) easy to tell when the view's been passed to another, even without the song to aid in the hand off.

-------

Ancient Dream

-------

Falling, drifting down from stars-
Dreams of ancient days long past...
Parting, rending the lost dreams;
The future bears on relentlessly.

Seeking, finding faded dreams,
Children of the dreams...
Descending stars take new forms;
I ask you to live again..
Wandering, lost and forsaken,
Return light to us;
Can they rebuild the past?
Please never forget us....

Glories lie forgotten beneath the sands of cruel time's advancing might,
Lost and buried is our strength and honor, leaving us only our pain;

Guide us on our way to the past, fallen stars now reborn;
Show us the time of which you dreamt of in this ruined land....
Push back the sands of time and unveil it once more unto us;
Our right, our power long taken from us by those who had cast us down-!

We shall rise again with you;
Heavens stars who died in fire-
You will guide us to our glory!
Fallen stars reborn in flame-
We will reclaim our lost past;
Rebuild it upon the death of the present where only chains bind us-
Forge them into swords of revenge!
We will not remain bound like mere starving dogs!

Guide us now to our war oh fallen stars-
You came to set us free, yet now you hesitate;
What did you come for if it was not to aid us;
Take the up sword along side us and lead us on-
We will rebuild the dreams of old once more when the present is gone!
We will reclaim our place upon the world's throne at long last....

Ah, what have we done...?
This was not what we came to do....
Was this their wish all along?
How could we have not seen....

We came to them...
We freed them as asked;
Yet this is how they act...
Like animals set to feed;
This is how they repay freedom-
Shedding blood to mark their way;
Vengeance means more than the past-
Then let them be struck down!

We will guide you no longer, failed children of the ruined past-
It was no enslaver that took your honor;
No chain that stole your strength!
You threw it away in ambition's name!
Let the fire that bore us burn you pure once again!
Let it remove all sign you ever touched this faded world;
May you vanish from its histories and its future-
May you now be lost....

Drifting, falling ashes from the sky above;
Burying the remains of lost children far below.
Weeping, mourning the stars ascend;
Returning once more to the heavens.
Lost, forgotten now and forever;
The dreams of the ruined past.

Let the world seek now its healing rest beneath this gray mantle;
To be born again from ashes, pure and free of its dark past.

May you live again,
Free of our past mistakes...
Rise again, fresh and new...
May you find a new dream...

Learn from the past and never repeat it;
What is past is forever gone,
Never was it meant to rise again-
Rest eternally the ancient dream.

Lost forever the ancient dream...
Let the world begin again....
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

I'm oddly reminded of the Chrono Cross intro when I read this. Its very good, it has good word choice, which is something I like very much. You've got a real talent for wordplay Koren, I hope to see more stuff from you!
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Anon: Wow, that was a quick response. :)
Really? Hm..I'll have to play that game again sometime. It's been a loooong time. ^_^; And thank you! This one was tricky since I was actually setting it to a song- it's rather fun the way you have to bend and twist your thoughts and vocabulary for this kind of thing. Glad you liked it! ^_^ I randomly inflict my poetry on folks so you'll probably see more before long. *L* The style changes a lot from one to the other though.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I like Chrono Trigger better, it makes more sense and the story is also better. Ahem! Anyways, your writing was very poetic and inspirational! Great piece of writing there Koren! Your talents are amazing and your skill in writing is great as it's always been! Great work!

Note: I didn't say poem or prose to avoid the topic all together. Most things can be called art if you strech the definition of it as discussed in one of Lumi's topics.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Not sure I read it right, I couldn't keep track of too much of it. Couldn't really get it into any flow or anything... too preoccupied.
Gaaah, I blame that I have so much to do XD

I'll probably have to try reading this again later when I've got a cleared mind.
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Danny: Thanks. ;) Though you won't see ones like this too often..rare piece of music that can inspire me to write something like this.

---

Sheexy: ^^; well I hope a second read helps it make more sense to ya...I admit the flow's hard to pick up on since it really was written to a song- which kept changing tones so the flow kept changing in turn. Nothing's steady in this one. ^^;
Danny

Post by Danny »

Koren wrote:Danny: Thanks. ;) Though you won't see ones like this too often..rare piece of music that can inspire me to write something like this.
Yeah, there are fewer inspirational songs these days. Anyways, I don't have a ranking scheme for your writing because you would always get 10/10, perfect from me! There are less and less people the care about the arts these days, so it's always great to see someone that still has lots of culture and talent in them. Keep it up Koren and great writing once again from me!:)
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

Koren wrote:Anon: Wow, that was a quick response. :)
I actually clicked refresh, instead of back while browsing this place for the first time. And there it was! I read your One-Shot Duran POV Fic, and I really liked it. And so, I read it the instant I saw it. It could also be I'm a fast reader.
Lumineux
Werewolf

Post by Lumineux »

Already gave you my input on this one elsewhere, but people here deserve to see all your earned praise too, so yay. Copy-paste and away we go! XD

I love this. :) Although I have to admit that having access to the song that aided in its creation goes volumes toward making it all work.

Even so, that's incredibly beautiful. Your story poetry is always some of your best anyway, Cy. :P Great job.
Koren
Tomato Man

Post by Koren »

Danny: Actually there's plenty of inspirational music out there. You just won't find it mainstream. I ban all radio from the house when I intend to write.

---

Anon: ;) Well I'm glad you did for whatever end. ^.^ Not my typical kinda writing or SD related at all but hope it was just as enjoyable as "Victory".

---

Lumi: And thank ya~ ^.^ Heh...story poetry's the most fun to write but tends to require gobs of inspiration. O.o; But then you've seen that from me before so no surprise, ne? Always happy when it's enjoyed though~
Danny

Post by Danny »

Koren wrote:Danny: Actually there's plenty of inspirational music out there. You just won't find it mainstream. I ban all radio from the house when I intend to write.
Most of the inspirarional music I have are either Japanese or European off the internet or as old songs on cassetes or records. The radio seems to have lost it's touch to cafe, rap, hip hop and other types of music which is lame and has no point.

I'm glad that you still have some and care about culture, that's why your poems are so great! The seikens also seems to be a really cultured site with it's members. Go seikens!