Anime Thread 2.0

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

J, if you think tailgating and drinking parties are immature, I think you've a good head on your shoulders.

Midori no Hibi (aka Midori Days-- you can find it licensed in R1) is pretty much as Anon described it, although the premise stems from a depressed comment the main character makes: "At this rate, my right hand'll be my only girlfriend..." You can probably connect the dots from there.

Don't worry about the plot of Lucky Star; being based on a 4koma comic strip style, you'll find humor in small but frequent doses.

@Danny: Unfortunately, the best way to get anime DVDs is online. You'll probably need a region-free DVD drive/player while you're at it, as some series never made it to R1, and probably never will.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Magus_Melchior wrote:@Danny: Unfortunately, the best way to get anime DVDs is online. You'll probably need a region-free DVD drive/player while you're at it, as some series never made it to R1, and probably never will.
I've got a U.S type of DVD player. Most anime DVDs I had worked with it, but a couple didn't as I can remember. I'm seaching for another DVD player. The U.S, European and Japanese (Asian) DVD players are the most popular. I've heard that at some Mall they have a "all type DVD player" or something like that. It would be good for watching all types of animes. My U.S one works okay with most, but as I said, it doesn't work with all anime DVDs.

It's going to take a long time to search and get all the animes I like... Hopefully I'll be able to do it fast over the web. I know some good sites, I'll have to find where in my favorites folder I put those in too. It's really too bad that there aren't more animes on T.V. Their a lot better then any other Canadian and U.S shows... Most of the people's way of thinking there is strange. But you can always find anime lovers. Thanks the mana goddess for the seikens!:)
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

@J

The girl in the white top is the Vampire Princess, she's the one he cuts. The Anime is significantly different from the Manga though. Its really deep, and really overcomplicated. Like Fate/Stay Night, in fact, both animes are from a similar universe. AiR is making me Emo, the more I get into it. Its one of the most depressing things i've ever seen.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

So I decided to take the plunge and start watching Lucky Star... The entire first half of the episode consisted almost exclusively of three main characters talking about how they eat different foods...

I think my brain has turned to mush...

I think this will be one to take in small doses.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

I hear that Lucky Star is worse than Pani Poni Dash... ^.^;;
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

It might be a bit of a leap to suddenly start watching relatively plot-free 4-koma anime like Lucky Star. If you like, Mahoraba is a more standard comedy (although everyone's still insane) with 4-koma elements; you can tell where the quick comedy is by the music and animation change.
The J Person
Grave Bat

Post by The J Person »

@Anon: Air has its depressing moments. If you don't know how to interpret the ending, or if that genre in general is lost on you, then it might not turn out to be a good watch for you after all.

... I didn't have anything else to say. I need more Anime in my life...
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

Ah, now I remember the last show I'm watching this season!

Kaze no Stigma. Rather generic supernatural action thing. Something for everyone in this one, I guess.

I think every conversation in Lucky Star's supposed to be themes you'll probably find on Japanese blogs and 2chan...
Anon
Kimono Bird

Post by Anon »

One review wrote *can't remember where it was*

That Lucky Star boarderlines what a child would draw on the sidewalk in their own drool. Its a horribly jumbled up mess of stupid. I say "darling darling please no more!"

Refrencing the very end of the Opening

Oh, and there is a Devil May Cry anime! I think its pretty good. Just came out this month. Only Mission One has been translated.

Timeline is between 3-4, because now Dante has aquired a taste for Strawberry Icecream with his pizza.
Last edited by Anon on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magus_Melchior
Grave Bat

Post by Magus_Melchior »

That Lucky Star boarderlines (sic) what a child would draw on the sidewalk in their own drool. Its a horribly jumbled up mess of stupid. I say "darling darling please no more!"
Yeah, that's pretty much it, and that's the whole point of the show.
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Right now, Im watching a series called Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Its a Mechecchi done by Gainax. So far, its freaking hilarious! :P
Elazul
BuzzBee

Post by Elazul »

Well, my University semester is over, so I have more time to watch anime now. :)

I'am still watching the animes on my previuos post, plus:

- Tsuki wa Higashi ni Hi wa Nishi ni - Operation Sanctuary: It seems to be a generic romance anime, with one guy and some girls, and all of them have potential to be his girlfriend.

- Fushigi Yuugi: This is the most popular work of Yuu Watase, who is also one of my favorites ''mangaka''. Her work called Ayashi no Ceres is one of my favorite animes, so is probably that I like this show too. The romance is a bit melodramatic, but is developing well.
Danny

Post by Danny »

It would really be awesome if there were some animes and mangas made after games like SoM, SD3, SwoM, ToP, Terranigma, etc. I made a manga (which I still need to update my topic on) which is a mixed game one between ToP, SoM and Shining Force 2 (as well as a few things and ideas from other games to).

My other manga which I'm working on now is all my original ideas though. I'll post some sketches of that one too once I'm done with it and updated my current posted one. It's great to play games which are also anime like the DBZ ones, Gundam Wing, Record of the Lodoss War and many others. It would be awesome to see more like those ones!:)
Last edited by Danny on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elazul
BuzzBee

Post by Elazul »

Danny wrote:It would really be awesome if there were some animes and mangas made after games like SoM, SD3, SwoM, ToP, Terranigma, etc. I made a manga (which I still need to update my topic on) which is a mixed game one between ToP, SoM and Shining Force 2 (as well as a few things and ideas from other games to).

My other manga which I'm working on now is all my original ideas though. I'll post some sketches of that one too once I'm done with it and updated my current posted one. It's great to play games which are also anime like the DBZ ones, Gundam Wing, Record of the Lodoss War and many others. It would be awesome to see more like those ones!:)
A manga that mix rpg games? Sounds interesting! I will take a look on your topic. :-D

Some games based on animes are really good. I actually found that some DBZ games are better than the original show. And there is a Magic Knight Rayearth rpg made for Snes, it is a must play for Rayearth fans.
Danny

Post by Danny »

That's great to hear, if you want to see my topic it's this:

viewtopic.php?id=277

I still need to update it with some of my enemy sketches and I will do so when school and the exams are over and I can draw again and join a site to post my drawings here. Sheexy helped me post my drawings and Kassidy also helped me post my SwoM manuel scan through the gallery.

I might post more of my manga and other drawings, scans and pictures in the future so I should join a image posting site which I will. Sheexy and Marini said that Deviant Art is a good site so I'll go for that one. I've seen it before and it's good for uploading pics.

This is good for the sketches enemy/boss sketches that I'm going to update my manga with and for the new one I'm working on that's my own original ideas which might not be as good since most or all of the best ideas have already been used in game, mangas and animes. ^-^; I'll still try though, I think it will come out good. Most of my ideas that I've used in school projects were good and got a high mark and we all know how hard they judge us in high school! Then there's university I'll have to face, all's good.

I've also seen some great DBZ games/roms for snes and one for gens. I have them all and there pretty good, well most of them anyways. There's also a Record of the Lodoss War game/rom for snes which is an rpg and is awesome. Too bad it's in Japanese only. There is an English patch, but it's only for the main dialoge (90% complete). It causes the game to freeze up though and it won't translate anything if you use save state, which I don't anyways. They might finish it, but they may also not since they last updated it in 2005.

What is it with 2005? Most game site have their last update in 2005 like Shogo-mad and I am talking about another board, IoI :D. Thank the Mana Goddess that the seikens is still up and running. It's the best site there is and the only one that I'm a member of.:)
Last edited by Danny on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.