Anime Thread 2.0

Multimedia discussion fun for all!

Moderators: Faalstar, Kefka

manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Well shoot!

I like Millennium Actress, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, Whispers of the Heart, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Grave of the Fireflies and Tales from Earthsea but perhaps really it's the first and third in this list that are my favorites. The third is probably my favorite. Then again, the second one is amazing. . . . D'ah, these are some good movies. One of the best scenes ever is the instrument jam on "Country Roads" in Whispers of the Heart.

. . .

manaman
Elazul
BuzzBee

Post by Elazul »

manaman wrote:Well shoot!

I like Millennium Actress, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, Whispers of the Heart, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Grave of the Fireflies and Tales from Earthsea but perhaps really it's the first and third in this list that are my favorites. The third is probably my favorite. Then again, the second one is amazing. . . . D'ah, these are some good movies. One of the best scenes ever is the instrument jam on "Country Roads" in Whispers of the Heart.

. . .

manaman
Your list is impressive! I love Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies too. Laputa: Castle in the Sky is my favorite, but I only watched 4~5 of his movies so far... I'am planning to download all of his movies that I don't have watched, maybe I can do it in this year. :-)
manaman
Spikey Tiger

Post by manaman »

Elazul wrote:Your list is impressive! I love Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies too.
Hey Elazul,

Thanks! The funny thing is, I never intentionally sat down to watch all the Studio Ghibli films. It did turn out that those were the films I watched and enjoyed the most, however. I think save for Millennium Actress and Cowboy Bebop, what, all? of the movies on this list are Studio Ghibli! :D I also try to watch all these in the Japanese. Spirited Away is the best in Japanese, in my opinion.

Good luck finding these!

manaman
Elazul
BuzzBee

Post by Elazul »

manaman wrote:
Elazul wrote:Your list is impressive! I love Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies too.
Hey Elazul,

Thanks! The funny thing is, I never intentionally sat down to watch all the Studio Ghibli films. It did turn out that those were the films I watched and enjoyed the most, however. I think save for Millennium Actress and Cowboy Bebop, what, all? of the movies on this list are Studio Ghibli! :D I also try to watch all these in the Japanese. Spirited Away is the best in Japanese, in my opinion.

Good luck finding these!

manaman
I don't like dub... I always watch anime/movies in their original languages, but subbed, of course. :D

Well, find all movies will be hard, but if I found anyone I will download (or even buy/rent if it is available here in my country) it for sure. ^^
Danny

Post by Danny »

Same here, I like to watch animes in original Japanese with English subtitles. I like hearing the original Japanese voices and music. In my opinon, it's the best like that and you can even learn a few words in Japanese! Which is great for people that are studying it like me.:)
Whc91us
Eye Spy

Post by Whc91us »

Not me...ima dub fan...not saying subs are bad or anything...but i like to watch anime, not read it....when i wanna read it, i get the manga.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

I really like the dubs in Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, they're really good.

I forgot I have also watched Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.
They were cool, but I dunno. I couldn't really get hooked on the stories, but the art and the designs of things were amazing.
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

It's probably about time I posted a comment on this thread. I've been terribly negligent in doing so, partly from doing other stuff and partly from actually watching anime. xD

I've finished Black Lagoon and the Second Barrage. At 24 episodes I think they did well to end it there. It left me wanting more, but I knew that if it did go on it wouldn't live up to the previous episode set, so I'm quite content with it wrapping up (if you can call it wrapping up, since it left a general air of "there's more to happen, trust me").

My imouto-chan dropped by and brought her anime folder, so I'm working through that at the moment, while transferring some of my latest finds over. I dare say I'm going to run out of disk space shortly. One series she's got me started on is Code Geass by Clamp. You can spot a Clamp a mile off, that's all I can say. ;) Turning out to be a good series, though I'm quite annoyed that episode 7 was a recap episode. That early in the series, it does not bode well.

I managed to obtain Rec overnight and just watched the first episode. This could turn out to be the most cutesy series I've ever seen. My brain may melt in to horrible puddles of gooeyness if I don't freeze it before watching any further.

Death Note is going to quickly turn into one of my favourite animes, together with Hellsing and FMA. The live-action film didn't impress me quite as much, though interestingly they changed the story with regards to a certain incident, and it gave it an even more contrived twist than the anime version of the events.

I've just remembered another anime, one that I found to be particularly weird, and that is Nekojiru-sou (Cat Soup). It feels like one of those 3 in the morning ideas that should never have seen the light of day but did. Try and get your head round it, I dare you.

I'm not even going to try and list all the anime that I've watched, it's far too much and I can't remember it all right now. I dare say it ranges through everything from Sailor Moon (it would play just about the time I'd be leaving for work) to Grandizer and Granzort (this last one being one of my all time favourites... I'll talk about it sometime).

On the subject of dubs... Spanish dubs are excellent, I can fault them not. They put the right vocal inflections and do a good job of sticking true to the Japanese sound. Plus more often than not they'll keep the original Openings and Endings, or if not they'll dub the song but keeping the same tune (except in cases like Lupin III and Captain Tsubasa). As for English dubs, I'm afraid I despise them with a passion. It sometimes makes me feel like becoming a voice-actor just to get the inside scoop as to what the hell it is that goes through their heads.
Elazul
BuzzBee

Post by Elazul »

I highly recommend Code Geass. It is just unpredictable and full of plot-twists, you can expect anything from this anime. A second season was announced recently, and I hope that they will explain all mysteries and finish it with a good ending. Sometimes I think that the deep plot can turn out in a confused one, if some things will continue poorly explained. :o
Also, Clamp is only working on character design, the anime is created by Sunrise studio. ^^
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Yeah, sorry, I meant specifically that their character design is unmistakable. ;)
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Aww snap someone mentioned Lupin III.

I hate the American dub for that show so much.
Just to add insult to injury I accidentally discovered that I can nearly perfectly mimic Lupin's voice. =(
T_T
Whc91us
Eye Spy

Post by Whc91us »

Teehee, another anime i really love is Case Closed/Detective Conan!
Kassidy
Site Admin

Post by Kassidy »

Sheexy: I can do his laugh in Spanish. xD

Whc: Haven't seen it, though I was addicted to Yaiba by the same author. I'm still trying to get that series back.
Dr. Sheexy
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Sheexy »

Whc91us wrote:Teehee, another anime i really love is Case Closed/Detective Conan!
Case Closed was a pretty cool show, but danged if I didn't figure out each case before the first commercial break. The whole guy getting turned into a kid thing didn't make sense, but it was pretty funny how he made the other detective look so good, always putting him to sleep to solve it XD
Duran
Spikey Tiger

Post by Duran »

Elazul wrote:
Enslaven00bs wrote:Anyone ever watch Fate/Stay Night? I would say that's the most recent anime I've watched.
I've watched it. A very good anime. The main character, Emiya Shirou was a bit annoying in the beginning, but in the end he become a likable character. I loved his words in the final episode. =(
Ive seen Fate/Stay Night while it was fansubbed...I have yet to watch it dubbed (Im actually curious to see how well the characters are voiced in English)

ROD, both the movie AND the series can be classified as one of my faves. The ROD movie takes place sometime after the Manga (Yes, theres a manga series of Read or Die and I have all of it.). ROD the TV was especially cool since it takes place 5 years after the Read or Die OAV so the two start tying together around the second half of the series (and I think Anita is totally badass and Maggie is just adorable).

As for what anime Im watching, I haven't been keeping up with it, but I finished Happy Lesson Advance and Happy Lesson: The Final some time ago (Akward ending... -_-; ).

Im currently watching a series called Sumomo mo Momo mo. Its about young female martial artist named Momoko and a high school boy, named Koshi, who has given up on martial arts with aspirations of becoming a prosecutor. The two were arranged to marry by their fathers and while Momoko is all for it and is readilly willing to bear Kochi's children, Koshi is completely against it. Theres more to the plot but Im too lazy to type it out right now...All I will say is that the series is totally hilarious (and at times, a little ecchi).
Last edited by Duran on Tue May 29, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.